IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Council Photographing My Car

Options
I bought a new car last week and being a VW Golf it's a little big longer than my previous Saxo. I am able to park off road on the front of my terraced house although due to space constraints and the way my neighbours park mean I have to park at pretty much right angles to my house.

Although I've only had the car 5 days it seems someone has made a complaint about the rear end of my car overhanging the pavement (perhaps 1ft at most, as many on my street do). Whilst at work today my other half spotted 2 men get out of a County Council van and proceed to picture my car at various angles although they wouldn't disclose to my partner why.

As I'm new to driving the car I haven't had the confidence to inch right up to the house which will mean any 'overhang' is barely noticable. Obviously in future I will ensure my car is wholly off the pavement although it's a very quiet road and I'm shocked anyone has complained.

Should I worry about what the council can do? Am I right in assuming they will be acting in response to a complaint?

Perhaps I can stick half a car tyre against the wall to act as a 'buffer' when parking (particularly for my other half!)

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    I bought a new car last week and being a VW Golf it's a little big longer than my previous Saxo. I am able to park off road on the front of my terraced house although due to space constraints and the way my neighbours park mean I have to park at pretty much right angles to my house.

Although I've only had the car 5 days it seems someone has made a complaint about the rear end of my car overhanging the pavement (perhaps 1ft at most, as many on my street do). Whilst at work today my other half spotted 2 men get out of a County Council van and proceed to picture my car at various angles although they wouldn't disclose to my partner why.

As I'm new to driving the car I haven't had the confidence to inch right up to the house which will mean any 'overhang' is barely noticable. Obviously in future I will ensure my car is wholly off the pavement although it's a very quiet road and I'm shocked anyone has complained.

Should I worry about what the council can do? Am I right in assuming they will be acting in response to a complaint?

Perhaps I can stick half a car tyre against the wall to act as a 'buffer' when parking (particularly for my other half!)

Oh. Im wondering --- maybe -- that someone has made a complaint?

Perhaps you should ask members of an internet forum if they know if anyone has made a complaint? What a good idea!

I, personally, don't have any knowledge of anyone making a complaint, no.

Hope that helps.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neil_B wrote: »
    Oh. Im wondering --- maybe -- that someone has made a complaint?

Perhaps you should ask members of an internet forum if they know if anyone has made a complaint? What a good idea!

I, personally, don't have any knowledge of anyone making a complaint, no.

Hope that helps.

You're really funny. Thanks.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pavements are for pedestrians, not to park (or partially park) cars on. Just wait till a passing buggy / wheelchair takes a nice big scrape out of your bumper. :rolleyes:
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,591 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume from the description you park in the front garden of your house? If this isn't the case no need to read on!

If it is the case do you have a dropped kerb and permission to park in your garden? If not expect a letter requesting you apply for planning permission. You will have to install a dropped kerb and also pay to have the pavement strengthened to prevent damage to services which may be installed below it. Potentially very expensive if services have to be installed deeper.

The photos will be used as evidence of breach of planning permission.
  • chambta
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    I assume from the description you park in the front garden of your house? If this isn't the case no need to read on!

If it is the case do you have a dropped kerb and permission to park in your garden? If not expect a letter requesting you apply for planning permission. You will have to install a dropped kerb and also pay to have the pavement strengthened to prevent damage to services which may be installed below it. Potentially very expensive if services have to be installed deeper.

The photos will be used as evidence of breach of planning permission.

I didn't read on ;)
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    to be able to park on the frontage to your property, then you need a dropped kerb, and the space to park the vehicle has to be a certain size (usually large enough to fit a lwb transit van)

if you dont have this, and your car overhangs the public highway, then you can be fined, but this is usually taken up by the police/traffic rather than council highway officials

to find out why they were photographing your car, you will have to wait and see what arrives in the post

F
  • chambta
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    to be able to park on the frontage to your property, then you need a dropped kerb, and the space to park the vehicle has to be a certain size (usually large enough to fit a lwb transit van)

if you dont have this, and your car overhangs the public highway, then you can be fined, but this is usually taken up by the police/traffic rather than council highway officials

to find out why they were photographing your car, you will have to wait and see what arrives in the post

F

The council can't issue fines for this I presume?
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    The council can't issue fines for this I presume?

No but they can issue penalty charge notices. Such, however, would have to be placed on your vehicle at the time. Nothing, under decriminalised legislation, can arrive in the post to penalise you.

'Flea' is wrong when saying ''usually''. Councils in most areas are responsible for enforcing 'off carriageway' parking. Overhanging the footway would be a contravention that can be penalised. Only in areas where older, RTRA 1984, legislation is in use are the police involved.

I think someone asked you if you had a dropped kerb for access to this parking place? I don't think you answered but may have missed it. If you don't, then driving across the footway to access it would, I believe, be an 'offence' under criminal legislation and come under the jurisdiction of the police. If your vehicle is fully off the footway and 'highway' (as defined) then I can't think of any enforcement powers Councils have for the actual transgression of crossing the footway momentarily.

Personally, I would take issue with Council officials taking photographs and failing to explain themselves. Perhaps (I don't know) there may be an invasion of privacy issue there. As far as I know, any individual may photograph anyone (barring Police, etc. in certain circumstances) but 'organisations', such as Councils, may not do so. Worth looking into.

Then again, given a Golf is hardly a large vehicle, perhaps you should either move the house back a few feet or stop kidding yourself that you actually have a 'drive'.
  • redlooney
    Options
    Neil_B wrote: »
    No but they can issue penalty charge notices. Such, however, would have to be placed on your vehicle at the time. Nothing, under decriminalised legislation, can arrive in the post to penalise you.

'Flea' is wrong when saying ''usually''. Councils in most areas are responsible for enforcing 'off carriageway' parking. Overhanging the footway would be a contravention that can be penalised. Only in areas where older, RTRA 1984, legislation is in use are the police involved.

I think someone asked you if you had a dropped kerb for access to this parking place? I don't think you answered but may have missed it. If you don't, then driving across the footway to access it would, I believe, be an 'offence' under criminal legislation and come under the jurisdiction of the police. If your vehicle is fully off the footway and 'highway' (as defined) then I can't think of any enforcement powers Councils have for the actual transgression of crossing the footway momentarily.

Personally, I would take issue with Council officials taking photographs and failing to explain themselves. Perhaps (I don't know) there may be an invasion of privacy issue there. As far as I know, any individual may photograph anyone (barring Police, etc. in certain circumstances) but 'organisations', such as Councils, may not do so. Worth looking into.

Then again, given a Golf is hardly a large vehicle, perhaps you should either move the house back a few feet or stop kidding yourself that you actually have a 'drive'.

If the males taking the photographs were from the council, they would be covered under RIPA regulations re investigating parking offences and YES, they would abuse this excellent piece of legislation in order to pursue matters re parking ;)
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do not need planning consent to park in your front garden in normal circumstances. If you are in a conservation area or live in a listed building then you may need consent. Also if you are in rented accomodation or similar you may need the landlords permission.

If you intend to pave over anything in the front of a property (or have done so since 2008) there are new requirements regarding permeable surfacing if over 5 square metres. See the Planning Portal for info or http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/pavingfrontgardens.pdf

Regarding the photographs put an FoI into the Council asking for anything they have to do with your property and the taking of photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure