Help with wiring for Sky TV and Internet.

Options
Hi all, i'm in the process of renovating my house, i've just built a new stud wall frame and have decided to run the wires through it before boarding and plastering to make it a neater finished job but i'm unsure of what wires are needed.

Basically i have a blank wall, on the wall will be my TV and Sky+ box and behind the wall (under the stairs) will be my Sky wireless modem and also the telephone base unit.

Does anyone know what wires i need to run through the wall and get into place ready for the installation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

  • fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    2 Coax
    1 telephone cable
    2.5 twin and earth for the socket ( two of these if you are making the socket part of the ring)
    I would put a pipe/conduit in the wall,with a string in it, so you can add more if need be.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    fto wrote: »
    2 Coax
    1 telephone cable
    2.5 twin and earth for the socket ( two of these if you are making the socket part of the ring)
    I would put a pipe/conduit in the wall,with a string in it, so you can add more if need be.

    I hope you mean Satellite Cable and not standard coax.;)

    I would just put a good size pipe/conduit in and feed any required cables through after you have finished the wall.
  • fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    I hope you mean Satellite Cable and not standard coax.;)

    I would just put a good size pipe/conduit in and feed any required cables through after you have finished the wall.

    Do they still sell the old type of coax?.
    By a good size pipe/conduit, do you mean a 4" waste type........
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    fto wrote: »
    Do they still sell the old type of coax?.
    By a good size pipe/conduit, do you mean a 4" waste type........

    They do for TV Aerials, but that isn't suitable for satellite.

    Never come across a 4" waste pipe, nothing to stop the OP from fitting more that one conduit if required.
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am doing similar at the minute. I bought a complete connection unit from Toolstation that hosts Sky Digital, standard aerial, telephone socket and DAB radio.

    Run each to the unit before boarding and connect up and then it all plugs to one double size socket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards