Seeking a second opinion privately.

Options
A couple of questions please :)

If someone wishes to seek a second opinion privately, do they have to be referred by their GP or can they approach a consultant who takes private patients?

Also, can new tests be paid for and opinions on those sought, without having to give copies of the patient's previous medical history to the consultant?

Thanks.
There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't help with your first question, and I can understand that someone might not want the second opinion to be biased by existing diagnoses, however I would imagine that trying to reach an opinion with no prior medical history might not be valid as they may miss something very relevant.
    I'd tend to say that the person should answer all questions the consultant deems relevant but to tell the consultant that they would prefer existing diagnoses not to be divulged at the start of the process and explain why.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks elsien.

It would be better if the consultant didn't have a chance to read about past medical history in the patient notes, but could be given a history of it at the consultation, as the idea of a second opinion , for me, is that it will be impartial, and not swayed by the thoughts of another consultant.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That sounds ok to me as a non-medical person, and if the consultant knew beforehand that was what the person wanted and was happy to proceed on that basis, then I don't see why not.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    My husband's seen a consultant privately without a GP's referral but, if there's any problem with this, you'll be told when you phone to make an appointment.
  • itsnotfair_2
    Options
    I used to a see a Professor on the NHS, then he went private. To see him I could then self refer. He had no past notes as the NHS don't transfer that way so we started from scratch again. But he did remember me.
    Usually GP's refer you. That way you can pay for a consultation but then go back to NHS for treatment.
  • pipkin71
    Options
    My husband's seen a consultant privately without a GP's referral but, if there's any problem with this, you'll be told when you phone to make an appointment.

Thanks Older.

I was told at my hospital appointment on Friday that there is no cure and I will be like this forever now, gradually getting worse as I get older :(

This may sound daft because I know the NHS consultants are professionals, but I don't want to accept this. I was thinking that if we paid for an mri and got another opinion based on that and not my medical history, they may just find something that can be done :confused:
  • pipkin71
    edited 16 November 2009 at 1:13AM
    Options
    itsnotfair wrote: »
    I used to a see a Professor on the NHS, then he went private. To see him I could then self refer. He had no past notes as the NHS don't transfer that way so we started from scratch again. But he did remember me.
    Usually GP's refer you. That way you can pay for a consultation but then go back to NHS for treatment.

What happens if I do go private? Would I then not be able to go back to the NHS?
  • Oldernotwiser
    edited 16 November 2009 at 1:10AM
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    What happenns if I do go private? Would I then not be able to go back to the NHS?

You can go backwards and forwards between private and NHS; sometimes you can even get a bit ahead of the queue if you've seen a consultant privately. (I know it shouldn't work like that, but what the hell!)

I hope that you can get a more positive opinion; even if you can't, you may feel better knowing that you've explored all options. Make sure that you go and see someone really good; not all private consultants are worth paying for!
  • pipkin71
    Options
    You can go backwards and forwards between private and NHS; sometimes you can even get a bit ahead of the queue if you've seen a consultant privately. (I know it shouldn't work like that, but what the hell!)

I hope that you can get a more positive opinion; even if you can't, you may feel better knowing that you've explored all options. Make sure that you go and see someone really good; not all private consultants are worth paying for!

Thank you.

My one concern is if they give me the same diagnosis :( At the moment, I'm hoping the consultant I saw is wrong.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Thank you.

My one concern is if they give me the same diagnosis :( At the moment, I'm hoping the consultant I saw is wrong.

I think that's something you have to be prepared to face; a second opinion isn't necessarily going to be more favourable, I'm afraid.

Unless you've got a personal recommendation, a site like this might be helpful http://www.drfosterhealth.co.uk/consultant-guide/ (there are others), although I always think that it's worth seeing someone who practices at one of the big teaching hospitals if you possibly can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure