Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Where to go for donations?

Options
crazy_girl
crazy_girl Posts: 912 Forumite
edited 26 November 2009 at 11:23AM in Charities
I volunteer for a small, local charity that have helped me out a lot.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction for sponsors and donations? I've already emailed several big dept stores with no joy.

Comments

• slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    There was a raffle at an event I was at yesterday, and lots of the prizes seemed to be from small local businesses, eg free first session at a chiropractors, money off a beauty treatment with a freelance therapist. There's a benefit to them in giving away a prize like this because it could get them repeat trade. You're probably better off going for slightly more obscure companies than the department stores who probably get asked all the time.

Also, what about going to companies with an interest in the subject area? Eg booksellers, stationers, publishers.
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • crazy_girl
    Options
    Good thinking, thanks :)
  • queenlizard45uk
    Options
    I did this for my work and arranged a summer ball and raffle. I sent letters to nearly every shop and theatre locally. We got sent vouchers, free tickets to shows, a cake, etc...
    :wave:
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When I did this a few years back I also wrote to companies like Mars, Cadburys and McDonalds and had positive responses from all of them. We also asked each person involved in our charity to either supply one small item or suggest someone who would, that was good as we then gained some unusual items, for example offers to do the gardening, helping to set up an allotment, bake 5 cakes etc., all of which we ran a silent auction for
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. crazy_girl
      Options
      thanks, these are all great ideas! and thanks a million sams247 too! x
    2. madamv
      Options
      We also asked local business and hotels and restaurants. We asked over 100 by letter and 50 by email and 20 by face to face. Arm yourself with information and leaflets and go round the small shops in your towns... We raise funds for our county, so that was a good angle to go on.

We received over 60 items which is really very good. It can be very disheartening to get rejection letters, but keep going as many say yes and donate some lovely items.

Also try your local radio and television stations.

Good luck x
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.1K Life & Family
    • 248K Travel & Transport