Wall Insulation!! Building Regs - A different one!

Options
To simplify the problem ;

One of the UKs biggest installers sent out a surveyor. All good. Fire place was open and asked what is going in there? .. Nothing. Well thats fine, they won't have to fit a wall vent. (I want to avoid wall vents at all costs as building is North facing and we regularly have strong winds on this face of the building).

Fitters arrive. Won't fit without wall vent as there is a chimney! Chimney has No hearth, No Fire BACK, No log crate! It is not used or could be used without work being done. Building regs quoted and more than their job is worth to fit without vents. Advised fireplace needs to be blanked off.

Blanked off fire place with board and screws (filled screw heads so it can't be removed). Phoned to have work completed (in it self a challenge to speak to the right person... seems the company has some management issues in how jobs are managed / booked.... but not my problem as I explained to manager, nor am I interested in their company politics!)

Anyway then quizzed what I have done to fireplace to blank it off. Well its not enough so I am told to cap chimney as my board could be taken out / as could bricks etc and someone else may fit a fire!

So established I would cap chimney but I pointed out that a cap could also be smashed out, new pot fitted and a fire fitted!! So then capping I am told means different things to different people and that the chimney has to be taken out :rotfl: to ensure it is never used for a fire place again in the future. Basically a lot of contradictions and losing some faith in their expertise and knowledge of regs.

A) I do not want a wall Vent.
B) As the employees of this company can't seem to agree on what is needed any one upto date with the building regs and what I need to do to have wall insulation fitted without a wall vent? With a wall vent fitted? What is mad is that as it is a property with floorboards and floor vents there is enough airflow even if a fire were to be fitted anyway!

Alternately maybe someone could suggest another company.
Thanks

Comments

• jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you could try contacting the energy saving trust. they gave me a list of local recommended companys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure