Any Electrical Wizards out there?! Advice on Electrical Quote needed :)

Options
Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

I've just bought a 3 bedroom flat in London, around 1,220 square foot and recently had a DVP2 Electrical Report done, the results came out as 'Poor' specifing the following problems:

- No earthing on lighting circuit upstairs and downstairs
- No water bond
- High R1 and R2 reading on cooker circuit
- No RCD protection
- Consumer unit not labelled up properly
- Incorrect labels and conductors not identified properly
- Fan in WC 240V too close to Shower Unit.

The electrician we used to do the survey has stated the following work to be done:

KICHEN - X12 Down Lights and Switches
HALL - X6 Down Lights and X4 Switches
BEDROOM 1 - X4 Down Lights and Swithces
W.C . - X2 Down Lights and Switches
BEDROOM 2 -1 CEILING ROWS and switches Change CCU (fuse Board)
Change CCU (Fuse Board)
Chase cabling into walls

They are quoting a total cost of £2,967 including VAT, Parts and Labour (£536.50 of this quote includes chasing cabling into the walls) as at the moment the cabling is running untidly along the skirting board and over door frames etc.

I am no electrical expert but this seems rather a lot to me! Does anyone have any ideas on whether this is a fair price? I don't want to overpay!

Thanks

Comments

• booty40uk
    Options
    Hi Tara

Does the price include making good the chases? Also does it include the light fittings themselves or are you supplying them?

Andy
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Always get at least 3 quotes!
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Tara1981
    Options
    Hi Andy

This price includes everything :)

It's difficult to know whether it is a fair price or not as none of the work was seperated out into different costs etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I don't want to overpay!

Tara
  • booty40uk
    Options
    Hi Tara

Very approximately you are looking at £500 in materials, £536 for the chasing and making good, £200 for certification and £450 for vat. That leaves about £1300 for the electrician and probably an apprentice or labourer. May be slightly on the high side but not too bad.

Get a couple of more quotes and compare.

HTH

Andy
  • Chippy_Minton_2
    Options
    booty40uk wrote: »
    Hi Tara

Very approximately you are looking at £500 in materials, £536 for the chasing and making good, £200 for certification and £450 for vat. That leaves about £1300 for the electrician and probably an apprentice or labourer. May be slightly on the high side but not too bad.

Get a couple of more quotes and compare.

HTH

Andy

So if the spark does all his labour cost is £1836?

How is the £200 for certification broken down?
    A further £200 to the spark? Making his total £2036?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • booty40uk
    Options
    So if the electrician does his own labour, he will be there that much longer with extra material costs therefore warrenting the extra cost.

Certification is generally done on a per circuit basis......typically around £30 to £40 per circuit. By the description given and the lighting load alone, there will be at least 4 lighting circuits, at least 1 ring main, cooker and possibly heating. There may be a shower as well or maybe 2 ring mains instead of 1? £200 sounds about right.

As my original post stated in the 1st two words............"very approximate".
  • Steve_the_fitter
    Options
    Get a couple more quotes. To me this seems alot. You could probably get a complete rewire for less
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure