We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
New build purchase - advice please
Firstly, I asked her to ensure that I got reasonable notice of a completion date. I explained that I need to give two months' notice on the flat I am currently renting. While I didn't expect to be given that amount of notice, I don't want to be paying up to an extra two months' rent either once I have the keys to my new home.
Secondly, I said I wanted to arrange an independent snagging report in good time so that putting right any problems identified could be made conditions of the contract. While I appreciate the solicitor's point that minor faults would not be a good reason to delay completion, I do feel I need some 'leverage' within the contract to avoid the risk that once I have exchanged the builders will have no interest in putting right any faults that may be present.
She said that she wanted to wait until she receives a copy of the proposed contract before she discusses these two points with the developers. I am just a little nervous about the timescale, as I don't see why she can't be a little more proactive than this and I don't want any work I commission on snagging to be too late to make any real difference.
I might add that the flat itself is complete, but there is ongoing work relating to landscaping and scaffolding is still up around the block. Estimated date for completion is end-January - so if they expect me to be ready then I would want them to confirm it soon so that I can give notice.
Comments
-
Is there any way you can choose your own solicitor in all this? If it were me I'd even forego the offer of legal fees paid to make sure I had someone working for me, as it doesn't sound like you feel she's 'on-side'. When we bought a new-build we went with one of the conveyancers recommended by the developer but were very happy that he was on our side. If we hadn't been 100% happy we'd have chosen someone else at the drop of a hat.0
-
Getting it right legally on a new build is pretty important. Completion date problems lead to financial issues.0
-
Legally you only need to give one months notice on your rental property, it's landlords who need to give two. If your tenancy agreement says two, it's wishful thinking on the part of your landlord. Note that your notice must coincide with a rental period.
If you are concerned about snagging, don't exchange contracts until the property is to your satisfaction.Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards