Cavity Wall Insulation Problem

Options
I really hope someone can help me.

I am in the process of applying for cavity wall and loft insulation and the surveyor came to the house on Monday.

Everything is ok with the loft, its the cavity wall thats the problem, when he was here he said that the external vents might not be suitable for cavity insulation and that he had never seen anything like them before. He left saying that he would need to consult his manager and let us know.

Well he rang last night and said that we cant have the cavity wall insulation because of the vents, when I asked why he just said they are not suitable, thats it.

There are 2 vents on the external wall and I think these are because we have wooden floor boards. I dont have any gas fires or any sort of fires for that matter so I can see that I would need anymore ventilation. My neighbour has the same vents and a gas fire and their house was insulated 2 months ago. I have asked for a second opinion and am waiting for him to call me back

Does the refusal to do the insulation sound right?

Comments

• TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    Yes. Can be normal. Sometimes installation can result in damp spots!

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • joyciebird
    Options
    Yes. Can be normal. Sometimes installation can result in damp spots!

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity.html

This article is general to CWI and does not answer my question
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you not try get another company out for their advice/2nd opinion?
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    As stated a problem but you only want one answer. You want it installed. So as Andy stated, get a second opinion.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • Richard1976
    Options
    This may be a blessing in disguise. There was a feature by Dom (out of the TV series "Don't get Done, Get Dom") on The One Show on the BBC. It suggested that cavity insulation may allow water and damp to penetrate to the inside of the house. It's worth looking into this before proceeding.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It could be that there is no means of sealing those vents from the cavity, which would result in the cavity fill material just coming back out the vents when they try to instal it.

As an example if you put an extractor fan in, you would put a hole through both walls, but you'd line that hole with a tube, so if they filled around that with cavity wall insulation the tube would stop the material getting either into the fan or out through the external hole. There are probably some vents which cannot easily be sealed off this way.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may be a blessing in disguise. There was a feature by Dom (out of the TV series "Don't get Done, Get Dom") on The One Show on the BBC. It suggested that cavity insulation may allow water and damp to penetrate to the inside of the house. It's worth looking into this before proceeding.

Not this one again !
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Try another company, some will fit vent liners if its possible to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure