We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

<b>PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING</b>: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 <b>Have you signed up to the Forum's <a href="https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6612556/new-feature-get-sent-trending-forum-threads-by-email?utm_source=banner">new Email Digest</a> yet? </b>Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buyer delaying exchanging until completion

Is this normal? Our buyer assumes she will exchange and complete on the same day to avoid paying the 10% deposit. We don't really want that much deposit, but want her to exchange so that the deal is sealed - we're supposed to be moving in a fortnight and as a natural worrier, I want to know for sure it's going through.

Also, we may need to rent a property and can't do so without proof of exchange. Should we encourage her to exchange by offering her the chance to put just £1,000 down, or is exchanging at completion the norm these days?

Comments

  • Be careful, I have known people who have decided and agreed with Exhange and completion and they have been Gazundered.

    Basically your buyers will lop off another 10% off the price and refuse to pay the full amount. They hope that as things have all been sorted and you may be desperate to sell you will cut your losses and sell for a highly reduced price.

    DO NOT EXCHANGE AND COMPLETE ON THE SAME DAY.

    DO NOT GET GUZUNDERED
    Starting Mortgage of £133,000 in Dec
    Wish me luck
    Target £120,000 by 12/12/12
  • Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Be careful, I have known people who have decided and agreed with Exhange and completion and they have been Gazundered.

    Basically your buyers will lop off another 10% off the price and refuse to pay the full amount. They hope that as things have all been sorted and you may be desperate to sell you will cut your losses and sell for a highly reduced price.

    DO NOT EXCHANGE AND COMPLETE ON THE SAME DAY.

    DO NOT GET GUZUNDERED

    Whilst not very common, simultaneous exch and complete is something that happens. It's not ideal (they could pull out with no comeback leaving you with a packed up house for example) but I would not worry unnecessarily unless they have a record of mucking you around.
  • This is interesting, as a similar thing happened to me when I sold earlier this year, buyers solicitors kept making excuses not to exchange (after agreeing they were ready a week before completion), then at 4.30pm the day before completion they insisted agreed price was £1000 lower, our solicitor was out for the afternoon, so his secretary was left to deal with it!

    We panicked and said we had to exchange as couldn't face a sleepless night worrying if it would all fall through the next day (I had already signed a tenancy elsewhere and had moved out the previous day, so would have been totally stuck paying rent and mortgage if they pulled out), so (after phone calls back and forward) at 4.55pm we reluctantly exchanged at the lower price. Next morning we completed (and breathed a sigh of relief thinking they could have gazundered us for a lot more than £1000).

    My ex-partner kept insisting they were up to something, playing for time etc, but as usual I was too trusting and kept telling him he was just being over-suspicious (judging people by his own standards!); it turned out he was right!

    I'm not saying this will happen to the OP but would just say be careful!!! Even getting £1000 upon exchange is something towards your fees etc if they did end up pulling out!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 34,082
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 November 2009 at 10:19AM
    I would not do it without good reason. It used to be that FTBs would have 100% mortgage and therefore couldn't exchange with a deposit at all. But with them not really existing anymore there's no real reason unless you are both being pushed in that direction because the conveyancing simply isn't completed in time for your desired move date.

    What worries me is that if someone is suspicious of you (not prepared to put a deposit down - which everyone has to do!) they tend to have reason to be; in that they are untrustworthy themselves and think that everyone else is the same!

    I would absolutely insist that exchange and completion happen on different days. I have a feeling that to gazunder was my buyer's intention when he failed to complete on Friday - except he'd already exchanged. Moron. We completed yesterday after he paid the outstanding balance on credit cards!! :eek:
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • I'm a conveyancer and TBH, exchanging and completing on the same day aren't uncommon. It may be that it's just been impossible to get all parties available at the same time to exchange.

    The purchaser must have SOME deposit, even if it means using the amount he's paid to his solicitors for his fees. I have agreed to take £500 as a deposit on occasions, knowing that if the buyer fails to complete, he can be sued for the fullk 10% deposit. It very rarely happens (in my experience).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.