What am I worth?

Options
After a bit of advice, I started working for this company 18 months ago, when i first started i agreed to £12.5k per year for a 30 hour week plus i was part of the bonus scheme.
within the first month the bonus scheme was altered so would only include front office staff, I was not given a contract and still dont have one.
my job role was book-keeping and dealing with client queries.
now, a year and a half on im still on 12.5k. I have total control of the company financies and with my cost cutting and new products i have helped the company double its profit (seeing 13k profit per year just in one of my ideas) I also deal with all client queries and jobs that should be done by front office staff.
I had a review at work last week, i put down how excellent i was and what i had achieved, i also mentioned the profit I had made for the company. I was left feeling a bit deflated, the boss mentioned how much other staff were on and how much i was on (im on more per hour but different role!) he also said he would be looking at a pay review next year for all staff.
I have tried to find out what other companies pay out for my role, but cant find anything similar..
How can i get accross to my boss that I am worth more than other staff who have no qualifications and dont do my work?

Comments

• hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    Options
    After a bit of advice, I started working for this company 18 months ago, when i first started i agreed to £12.5k per year for a 30 hour week plus i was part of the bonus scheme.
    within the first month the bonus scheme was altered so would only include front office staff, I was not given a contract and still dont have one.
    my job role was book-keeping and dealing with client queries.
    now, a year and a half on im still on 12.5k. I have total control of the company financies and with my cost cutting and new products i have helped the company double its profit (seeing 13k profit per year just in one of my ideas) I also deal with all client queries and jobs that should be done by front office staff.
    I had a review at work last week, i put down how excellent i was and what i had achieved, i also mentioned the profit I had made for the company. I was left feeling a bit deflated, the boss mentioned how much other staff were on and how much i was on (im on more per hour but different role!) he also said he would be looking at a pay review next year for all staff.
    I have tried to find out what other companies pay out for my role, but cant find anything similar..
    How can i get accross to my boss that I am worth more than other staff who have no qualifications and dont do my work?

One thing to consider is that whilst you have done the right thing to show how much you have done for the company, part of a wage depends on how easily replaceable you are. They have the ideas youve generated to turn a profit, if I was employer id be happy to keep you, but if I had to recruit someone in your place (its not like their is a shortage of people wanting a job) Id just let them carry on where you left - with the profitable ideas you introduced.

Id be wary.

One thing to be aware is that they have failed to issue you with a written contract of employment. They have a legal obligation to give you this within 2 months of your employment. This is a potential tribunal claim. (just thought youd like to know)
  • nervousmother
    nervousmother Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2009 at 9:03AM
    Options
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Tbh 12.5k Pro Rata for a book keeper for a 30 hour week (works out approx 15k FT) is a bit low.

Depending on all these extra tasks it could be very low.

If you are not over estimating your worth in this post I would be expecting your role to in fact be something along the lines of Finance Officer, Finance Manager, Head of Finance etc depending on just how much management and strategic responsibility is involved. These roles imo would justify approx 16-23k, 22k-30k, 30k-45k.

Without posting details its very hard to say.

A few things to consider ;

Do you line manage anyone?
    What level of responsibility do you have? i.e do you attend senior meetings etc
    What level of involvement do you have in governance and strategy?
    Do you do the accounts and external reporting etc?
  • scooterchick
    Options
    What is your qualification? Sorry if I missed it.
  • nervousmother
    edited 11 November 2009 at 9:05AM
    Options
  • nervousmother
    edited 11 November 2009 at 9:05AM
    Options
    .................................................................................
  • Anihilator
    Options
    Reading that then I think tbh your looking at Finance Assistant/Officer level which falls between roughly 15-25k normally.

You do have responsibility but it isnt the responsibility I meant. I more meant being accountable to directors, auditors etc and for budgets. You dont seem to be.

You also dont appear to directly line manager anyone.

Your job seems to very much a financial admin role as opposed to management role.

I think given you do payroll, VAT returns and monthly management accounts I would be looking for approx 18-22k Pro Rata (14,400-17,600). You also dont mention any qualification which goes against you.

You can ask for the raise but if they dont want to give you one all you can do is vote with your feet and the grass isn't always greener.

I would also add whilst I am sure you do a very good job the stuff you list really isnt that senior. A lot of it is barely middle management level.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    It depends on where you live. I havent gotten AAT but HAVE worked in finance before where i was on £8 an hour (roughly similar to you) but i would expect more for the ATT (im based in midlands) but at the moment, im working for a german company as a sales administrator earning £10.50 an hour (not commission based) this is raising next year to £13 an hour and so on if the company is doing well. Ive only been there for a month so would expect more after a years worth of work. I would seriously look at getting a contract - your a sitting duck if they make redundancies. hope this kinda helps x
  • Anihilator
    Options
    TBH Mommyme AAT is a finance admin type qualification, this is the role the OP is doing. It isnt like they have a far superior qualification which is allowing them to do work that would be contracted out (i.e the finanl accounts) otherwise.

AAT is a good stepping stone but on its own I wouldnt say it commands much of a premium over naturarl experience or even being a motivated quick learner.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    sorry i think you misunderstood me - i know AAT is entry level - but i was on £8 an hour doing finance (and didnt know anything! trust me! i had to be shown excel and sage lol) so for someone who knows a lil finance you would expect them to earn more than someone who knows naff all. But obviously they wouldnt be earning as much as someone who has cfa (?) etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure