NEW!! - MILAN - INFO.NEEDED PLS.

Just some information really.

I'm going to Milan in a fortnight and I just wanted some tips on what to see, where to eat and drink etc.

Obviously not too expensive and good VFM.

All responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
:)

Comments

• Went there in Oct for three nights. All the usual tourist things are worth doing and are well documented in all the guide books. If you want to see The Last Supper then you need to book in advance on the web - just do a google search.

We really enjoyed taking the trams around the city using the day passes. This was an ideal way to get a feel for the place. The metro is also very efficient.

Take a day trip to Como on the train. It only takes an hour or so and delivers you right to the lakes from where you can work or take a boat trip. Highly recommended.

Beware all of the tourist traps near the Duomo.

Enjoy.
  • kdee_2
    kdee_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/24317/

will give you everything you could need to know :)
    Tried and Tested
  • Check out topic "What can I do in Milan" December 27th. Might be useful.
  • mhairi05
    mhairi05 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Milan is fantastic - I've been 3 times.

You must see 'The Last Supper' it brings tears to my eyes every time, but as previously stated do book ahead.

The castle is interesting - have a look at the unfinished 'Pieta'.

If you like opera/ballet you can get cheap tickets for La Scalla (which I think has re-opened now) at the ticket office round the left of La Scalla building. Go early about 10am, and queue to get tickets for that night, but don't buy from the ticket touts. It's also worth going to La Scalla museum.

The roof of the Duomo is also a must.

Don't eat anywhere in the 'Gallaria' (sorry about spelling) - far too expensive, try out of the main area away from the Duomo and down some side streets - much cheaper. Also remember, if you're having something to eat or drink it costs more if you sit down - its cheaper if you can stand at the counter for coffee etc.

Trams are cheap and efficient - you can buy a 'carne' ( I think) of tickets which can be used on trams and underground.

There is also cut price shopping to be had at Il Salvagente, on 16 Via Fratelli Bronzetti. Its a bit out of the way but you can get trams near to it, and I think its worth it for all the gorgeous shoes I've bought there - Gucci, Miu Miu etc for about £60. !! It does have mens and womens clothing too. It doesn't have a shop front, just a big gate, which you go through, down a slope and turn left, where there's a wee door or you will see people waiting for it to open. You have to leave your bag in a locker before going rounc the shop.

If I think of anything else I'll let you Know.

Mhairi
    Titch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family