PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I Crave "Fresh" Bedding!

Options
I washed my bedsheets the other day, and as I got into bed that night, I realised that my bedding never smells "fresh" like my mums did, and it's not nearly so refreshing to get into a freshly made bed. It is nothing to do with airing the bed as I air it every day, hoovering it once a week...

So how do I get lovely fresh clean-smelling sheets? Currently I use a fitted sheet and duvet covers that are polysester/cotton mix - would I benefit from 100% cotton bedding? I don't have a garden or a tumble dryer so all my bedding either gets dried on an airer or ironed dry... :think:

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, and its not exactly money saving but aerial washing powder will do the trick
  • sneekymum
    sneekymum Posts: 4,782 Forumite
    Options
    100% cotton or linen - no fabric conditioner - & dry outside.

That fresh smell could be ozone.
    still raining
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    After reading your post I have decided that I must be one of the lucky ones as more often than not in the summer months my sheets are able to be hung on the line and they feel and smell lovely. I take my hat off to you ironing them dry - I don't think I could be bothered!!!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    since i have started doing my laundry OS - ie half powder (surcare), half soda crystals and a splash of vinegar, my bedding feels and smells lovely and fresh. much better than when i was using expensive washing tablets and softener. :D
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is being outside that makes them really fresh - I know what you mean especiially if they are dried indoors - the soda crystals and vinegar helps though but our mums washed and hung outside all the time.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've noticed that since I've changed to the non bio Persil liquid tablets my washing smells lovely regardsless of drying indoors on maiden or on washing line.
    I'm like one of the adverts sniffing my fresh smelling washing and smiling contentedly to myself. Seriously though it does make me feel better.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I wonder if you are putting too much washing in the machine so it can't really clean to it's optimum? my student son did this, when he was home from uni he said that my washing smells better than his, we use the same products but then he told me that he shoves all his weeks washing in in one go - not enough water to get it clean I suppose
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    There's no real susbstitute for drying outdoors, but I find Surf's fresh-smelling powder (can't remember what they call the fragrance exactly) produces a nice fresh smell. I dry mine outdoors or in the tumble dryer if the weather is unsuitable, though.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I wonder if you are putting too much washing in the machine so it can't really clean to it's optimum? my student son did this, when he was home from uni he said that my washing smells better than his, we use the same products but then he told me that he shoves all his weeks washing in in one go - not enough water to get it clean I suppose
    Good point. Overfilling a machine is a false economy. It reduces the efficiency of the wash, and also causes more wear and tear to the machine. I normally have my machine fullish, since underfilling it is also uneconomical, but I've learned that overstuffing it doesn't work.
  • Roz_V
    Roz_V Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Options
    I had a duvet cover, 4 pillow cases and a sheet in there - was only a half load but I was naughty and washed it as a full load :shhh: :naughty:

I may try a change of powder then... Not very MS or OS but if I save it for bedsheets only it should las a while as I find Asda's own non-bio powder with a drop of Stardrops and a little bit of concentrated fabric conditioner works fine on my clothes - its just my bedding as (although it is clean!!) nothing can beat the fresh smell of my mothers washing...

Of course I could always swallow my pride and ask her how she does it, but that would involve sweeping aside a lot of history in order to be told I'm useless :rolleyes: ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure