if you have bricks to lay

Options
we had to build a wall for this pesky conservatory
so   we bought this after it being reccomended by a friend

OMG  the wall is now flying up  hes done 3 courses in about an hour of blockwork  4 metres by 3 and a half metres  two skins !!

heres the site for it,  we bought it off ideal world or qvc  I forget now which

exellent bit of kit

now hes talking about building a brick shed, and hes neverl  laid a brick in his life till  today !!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.urbanek/bricky_webpage2.htm?OVRAW=the%20brickie%20tool&OVKEY=brickie%20tool&OVMTC=standard

Comments

• MisterT2
    MisterT2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Made something very similar years ago when I built my conservatory. Didn't have one for the ends though. Brick shed = permanent = planning permission and building regs? Just a thought .....
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh yes planning permission

shouldnt be a problem

building warrant as well In scotland

>:(
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We saw that on qvc cathy and mr divadee was itching to buy it. He was wandering around all day looking at what he could build with it ???

he never did get it in the end ;D

it did look very good though
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it really is good, I got stuck in today, were doing a compost heap place so left holes here and there but it looks ok, I used the brickie and he lifted the blocks onto the mortar

exellent

;D
  • Hotblack_Desiato_2
    Options
    We discussed these on my brick laying course and the consensus was that they are quite good if you have 2 conditions:

your bricks are _very_ regular size

and

your mortar is very good ie consistency and mix strength.

My problem is that the LBC Rustics I have to use are banana shaped!

HB
    An eye for eye, and we'll all be blind - Mahatma Ghandi
    Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out" - John Wooden
    In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other." Voltaire (1764)
  • MisterT2
    MisterT2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I watched the video and it said that it was spring loaded - I assumed that there would be some give in it to allow for the standard variation of the bricks.

I still think its way over priced compared to some 12mm ply edged with 12mm/12mm wood. If you make your own you can allow for banana shaped bricks on the basis that your wall has to be relatively straight anyway.

Personally I live in a relatively new house, and to be honest, they had just had well used banana shaped bricks!!
  • silvertr1
    Options
    Hey Mister T2 why buy a hammer when you can bang in nails with a stone? The simple answer is that having the right tool for the job always saves time. I can vouch for the fact that the Bricky is a great tool...nuf said!
  • doodle_bug
    doodle_bug Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't get this thing, I've watched the video and it seems great but they didn't show it in a real situation.
    Most houses are constructed from B/Block and the bricks are for show, with the B/B's in place how could you use that tool? If you are building a garden wall you would probably have double layer bricks, how would it work for that?
  • silvertr1
    Options
    Hi Doodle_Bug,

Not quite sure what you mean. The website shows a series of pictures with a block / brick cavity wall being built. Have another look.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.urbanek/bricky_webpage2.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport