PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Request

Options
Does anyone have a tried & tested recipe for a cornbeef and potato pie please? I used to buy mine from Marks & Spencers but my local store hasn't had them for a very long time, so can only assume they're not selling them anymore (they do a small parcel shaped one but I'm looking for family sized:p ) Will keep my fingers crossed and say thanks in advance:D

Comments

• mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make the little ones.... i cheat and buy the frozen packs of pastry from farmfoods(60p,makes about 7 or 8 pies)

I cook a pan of potatoes, mash them with a little bit of marg ( no milk or they go too sloppy) then mix in about half a tin of corned beef, and some finely chopped onion, that i've already softened in a frying pan. Mix it all together, make the pie bases in those little foil trays, put a tablespoon of the mix in it, put a pastry lid on it then either freeze them or brush with milk and put them in the oven for about 20mins til pastry's brown. Dead easy !!!:D
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I just layer thinly sliced potato, then onion and then cornbeef. Repeat twice more. A layer of potato on the top. Add 1/2 pint of beef stock. Put the lid on the caserol dish and cook for about an hour + or until the potatos are soft. Make pastry and cover the pie and cook for a futher 20 minutes.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I cook a pan of potatoes with one chopped onion in as little water as possible (I keep checking and adding a bit if necessary. When cooked I add a tin of corned beef chopped into pieces and mix it together (we like our potatoes to retain some of their shape). Then I put it into two casserole dishes, add a bit of gravy and top with whatever pastry we fancy (usually suet or ordinary shortcrust). We had it two days ago with a suet pastry crust. The second casserole dish goes in the freezer for another day. Oh I cook it at 160C for about 30 to 40 mins until nicely brown. enjoy!!:)
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I fry chopped onions & potatoes together for a few mins, add corned beef cut into big chunks, couple of beef Oxos, water, salt & pepper. Simmer for 20 - 30 mins, put into a pie dish, cover with pastry & bake gas mark 7, about 200C for 30 mins - lovely with a pan of mixed carrots & swede!
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I make mine similar to mandy moo, but as a plate pie. I boil potatoes and chopped onion together till tender, then drain and mash (No marg or butter) Add a tin of mashed corned beef. Butter a medium sized (old) dinner plate and line with shortcrust pastry. Fill with the corned beef and potato mix, rounding the top. then cover with more pastry. If there is any corned beef mixture left over I make it into corned beef patties, by shaping into cakes (a bit like fish cakes) dipping in beaten egg, then flour and shallow fry. I also use the same corned beef and potato mixture for corned beef and potato pasties.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cook my pots and a chopped onion in the pressure cooker, add cubed corned beef and mix - but not too much or it turns into slop and i like to be able to see potato chunks, then I put onto a pie plate, crumble a stock cube over and leave to cool. Cover with your pastry of choice and cook in the oven for about 30 mins. I think it's the stock cube that gives it extra taste. For a party a few years ago I made corned beef pies in roasting tins and used a 6lb tin of corned beef! We got through a few mushy peas and baked beans that night :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure