Avoiding BT one ton connection charge

Options
Has anyone got any advice on how to avoid the £99.99 price tag that BT are asking to connect our home for the first time? They say they can't waive or reduce it to retain our custom as it is a fixed advertised price. The property is in a rural location so there is no cable service available. Are there any other ways (excl VOIP) to get a phone line? Help appreciated. Thx!

Comments

• pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=205840

and: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=191528

Their are no other ways of getting a landline in your case,apart from Bulldog possibly,but dont even go their.
    PF.
  • djm76
    djm76 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Not the answer I was hoping for but usefull to know what I'm up against. Ta.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but BT increased the price for connecting a new line to £124.99 (inc VAT) from £99.99 on the 1 June 2006.

Regards
    Sunil
  • escentual
    escentual Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    what are the problems people are having with bulldog.. i also need a fresh new line my choice is BT or Bulldog
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    escentual wrote:
    what are the problems people are having with bulldog.. i also need a fresh new line my choice is BT or Bulldog

Have a look at
    http://www.my-bulldog-hell.co.uk/
  • wabbit02
    wabbit02 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    escentual wrote:

I have to say - I have a bulldog line - as does my best friend, my dad and a couple of work colleagues, the only issue that anybody has ever had is with BT (open reach - who own the wire from your home to the exchange) not turning up for the install on time.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Bulldog have had hundreds (if not more) complaints against them and I think it got that bad that Ofcom (who normally don't investigate small complaints) actually investigated them. I believe the final result after the Ofcom investigation is that Bulldog made promises to improve things.

Only time can tell but I would be wary about using Bulldog as well.
  • cadboll
    cadboll Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Quick question! I've just moved into a new house. Realise that BT is the only viable option for telephone line. I've read the section on the site relating to Talk-Talk, but not sure as to exactly what to do.

The plan at the moment would be to get the BT line in (£124.99). Not sure which is the best option plan to go on, and then hopefully sign up to Talk-Talk afterwards.

Any flaws in this?

Thanks.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    cadboll wrote:
    Hi

Quick question! I've just moved into a new house. Realise that BT is the only viable option for telephone line. I've read the section on the site relating to Talk-Talk, but not sure as to exactly what to do.

The plan at the moment would be to get the BT line in (£124.99). Not sure which is the best option plan to go on, and then hopefully sign up to Talk-Talk afterwards.

Any flaws in this?

Thanks.
    You'll have a year to decide because you'll be tied to BT for your line rental for that period after a new installation.

That'll be plenty of time for the horror stories (or the opposite) about Talk Talk's promises to be widely known so you can then make an informed choice.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had the same problem with BT. Its a joke, they should absorb the cost of installing the line and sign people up for a 12 month contract!

Worst thing was the flat below had a line that went onto our outside wall and then down to their flat so they would only have split it and given us the other half.

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport