Help with Book

This is my first post so i am not sure if it is in the right place (i'm sorry if its not). in september i am due to start a masters course provided i graduate this summer. i am looking for a book by Ann Hughes called 'Gangraena and the Struggle for the English Revolution' the book is £62.99 at the cheapest place online :eek: and my library does not have a copy :mad: . i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this book and whether they know where i might get a copy cheaper? or if you have any tips i could try to get it cheaper as this is the first book i need of many. thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• clairestelle
    clairestelle Posts: 113 Forumite
    Hi!

Sorry this probably isn't much help but on lovereading.co.uk the book costs £47.25. Also have you considered asking your library to buy the book? They often will buy books at borrowers' requests.

Claire
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi!

Sorry this probably isn't much help but on lovereading.co.uk the book costs £47.25. Also have you considered asking your library to buy the book? They often will buy books at borrowers' requests.

Claire

and if they don't respond well to you, is there a lecturer you can approach about it? they might be able to ask with more success.
    :happyhear
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Also keep an eye on eBay. My son purchased his computing law and programming texts at a fraction of the "new" prices. Many students will be finishing their courses in the next couple of months, and looking to sell on their textbooks.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • ffeindadifyr
    ffeindadifyr Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    At our uni you can get an interlibrary loan (from other uni libraries) - the cost was offset by the dept. as long as the supervisor Ok'd it. Can you do something like this?
  • thanks for this i will give them a go and see what the library say
  • needstoknow
    needstoknow Posts: 107 Forumite
    amazon second hand thing is really good got all my books 4 1/2 pirce using that
  • freebie_junkie
    freebie_junkie Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    at our town libarry you can pay a £5 fee to get them to buy a book and you get it first and can borrow it for up to 3 months if you keep renewing it. :)
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • Iffy_Wallet
    Iffy_Wallet Posts: 266 Forumite
    Have you stuck a note on the notice board at college? Somebody may be studying with it this year, and may be very glad to see the back of it after their finals.
    [ Eat, Drink and be Merry - for tomorrow we get the bill ]
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A good place (the best???) for getting 2nd hand books is http://www.abebooks.co.uk/ there are a couple of copies up for sale at the moment... but the cheapest is £62.
    You can put in a request for a book up to a maximum price. I always put a lowish price cos dealers will try to guess what the most is you are willing to pay and if they havnt 'guessed correctly' they will then have another guess slightly lower and so on.
    :beer:
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • Hi Princess Cinderella - my first post too so hope it works! I use the British Library to get difficult to find books. Either your university library or your local public library should be able to to this for you. Doesn't cost very much and they can get quite obscure books for you. My local library were very helpful.Good luck!
    You - only you- will have stars that can laugh :rotfl:

:starmod: Debt-free:starmod:

£2 Coin Savers' Club - Christmas due on 25/12/06! £[STRIKE]142.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]16/07/06 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£150.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]21/07/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£158 2/08/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£166 28/8/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3/10/06 £198 [/STRIKE]25/10/06 £214 :xmassmile
    DFW Nerd 137:j
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family