just to confirm ......

Options
doom
doom Posts: 2,828 Forumite
edited 4 November 2009 at 6:16PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
I was reading this on a few other threads but just wanted to confirm.

If a person for example earned £500 per week and had 8 years service, his redundancy payment should be 8 x £380 and NOT 8 x £500 ...

Is this correct?

Also, what would be the first thing to do if the required notice was not given? If someone has 8 years service they should receive 8 weeks notice and then the redundancy pay, what should someone do if the employer only gives them 4 weeks notice?

Thanks

:beer:
CARPE DIEM
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

Comments

• doom
    Options
    I've just been told by someone I know that the £380 per week payment is the max that the government pays you if your company goes insolvent and is not relevant if it is just a normal company making people redundant because they don't need them .... This is very confusing !!!!! :(

Any opinions ...
    CARPE DIEM
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    doom, your employer may have a redundancy policy which will outline the payments they will make as a result of voluntary or compulsory redundancy. Most likley will take length of service and age into account.
    The limits referred to above I think relate to claims made against the Government scheme. This is for employees who have been left high and dry where their employer can not pay redundancy. If you check out the ACAS webside (sorry I can't post links) it gives the detail on what the Government scheme will pay.....I'm in that situ now as OH's employer has ceased trading with no money to meet redundancy liabililty. Best of luck xx
  • doom
    Options
    MyRubyRed wrote: »
    doom, your employer may have a redundancy policy which will outline the payments they will make as a result of voluntary or compulsory redundancy. Most likley will take length of service and age into account.
    The limits referred to above I think relate to claims made against the Government scheme. This is for employees who have been left high and dry where their employer can not pay redundancy. If you check out the ACAS webside (sorry I can't post links) it gives the detail on what the Government scheme will pay.....I'm in that situ now as OH's employer has ceased trading with no money to meet redundancy liabililty. Best of luck xx

Thanks, sorry to hear about the OH. I was trying to see how much I could get and then saw the limits as I posted above. Wasn't sure if I'd only get £380 per week or what I actually earned. Company has not gone insolvent or anything - they are a $36billion company !!!
    CARPE DIEM
  • tlzeebub
    Options
    If the employers are using that table it's also dependent on age.
  • MyRubyRed
    Options
    hi love, couple of questions...
    has your company told you your job is at risk?
    are you a member of a trade union?
    x
  • MyRubyRed
    Options
    tlzeebub wrote: »
    If the employers are using that table it's also dependent on age.

Acas site has a calculator which works out entitlement based on age
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are correct in your assumptions that you get 8 x £380
    1 week for each year of employment

If you are over 41 (you get 1 and a half weeks pay for each year you are over n41

You are entitled to 8 weeks notice and they are breaking employment law if they just give you four weeks notice.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • doom
    Options
    MyRubyRed wrote: »
    hi love, couple of questions...
    has your company told you your job is at risk?
    are you a member of a trade union?
    x

I was given 4 weeks notice yesterday that I am gone (along with many other people) I have 7 full years of service
    No I am not a member of any union
    McKneff wrote: »
    You are correct in your assumptions that you get 8 x £380
    1 week for each year of employment

If you are over 41 (you get 1 and a half weeks pay for each year you are over n41

You are entitled to 8 weeks notice and they are breaking employment law if they just give you four weeks notice.

I used 8 as an example, I actually have 7 yrs service, would it then be up to me to persue a claim for 3 weeks pay ?
    CARPE DIEM
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Just remind them that your notice is incorrect but you are happy to take PILON for the other 3 weeks if they want you to leave early.

If they still say only 4 weeks then put a grievence so you have a head start if you need to make a claim through a ET.
  • doom
    Options
    Just remind them that your notice is incorrect but you are happy to take PILON for the other 3 weeks if they want you to leave early.

If they still say only 4 weeks then put a grievence so you have a head start if you need to make a claim through a ET.

Thank you

Would it have to be a claim with an employment tribunal or could I just sue them in the county court for three weeks pay ... ?
    CARPE DIEM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure