is this ok? please help?

Options
In relation to my previous post (please help)
sorry I cant put the link in as im new member

I have decided to withdraw my application for a job that was advertised in the reshuffle.
Tomorrow I intend to hand in the following letter

Dear (insert name)

I hereby give notice to you that I wish to withdraw my application for xxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx (insert job)

After speaking to my wife I have come to the conclusion that the terms and conditions that will be offered are not acceptable to me.

As the package that I have been offered no longer includes use of a company vehicle,
Plus an increase in working hours, and an extra Saturday. I respectfully refuse the offer of a new contract of employment.
I understand that as such my current contract of employment will terminate and I will be made redundant.
As always I will work hard for the company until my employment ceases tomorrow.

What do you guys reckon?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
DJ Flame

Comments

• Ama
    Ama Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    dj_flame wrote: »
    In relation to my previous post (please help)
    sorry I cant put the link in as im new member

I have decided to withdraw my application for a job that was advertised in the reshuffle.
    Tomorrow I intend to hand in the following letter

Dear (insert name)

I hereby give notice to you that I wish to withdraw my application for xxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx (insert job)

After speaking to my wife I have come to the conclusion that the terms and conditions that will be offered are not acceptable to me.

As the package that I have been offered no longer includes use of a company vehicle,
    Plus an increase in working hours, and an extra Saturday. I respectfully refuse the offer of a new contract of employment.
    I understand that as such my current contract of employment will terminate and I will be made redundant.
    As always I will work hard for the company until my employment ceases tomorrow.

What do you guys reckon?
    Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    DJ Flame

If you are 100% sure of your decision, then the withdrawal letter should be ok. Having said that, I will rephrase some of the stuff that you have written.

No disrespect to your wife but can you say something along the lines of ' after carefully considering the requirements of the new post, I have decided not to proceed with my application for the following reasons; then list your reasons

ie, the withdrawal of a benefit... ie the company car
    requirement to work more unsocial hours... ie the extra saturday
    requirement to work additional hours

state that you will be significantly worse off if you go for the new post and it's with regret that you have had to withdraw your application.

Hope this helps
    Debts at :idea: moment £31,500 :confused:
    [STRIKE]Debts as @ 28 June 2009 £15,654[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debts as @ 25 July 09 £7,264 [/STRIKE]:j[STRIKE]Debts as at 8 Sept 09 £6,590 [/STRIKE]:T Debts as @ 10 October 09 £5,976:j:j
    Official Debt Free Wannabee- Nerd Club Member Number 742..........Longhaul supporters club member-Number 72
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! Love this forum :grouphug:
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Also be prepared for a fight that the new job is comparable.
  • londondulwich
    Options
    You may want add some of this to your letter.

On the ... of the ... I was instructed by .... that I had to apply for the post of ... or be sacked.

I was given ... weeks to decide.

I felt I had no choice and in desperation I applied for this post.

The post involves the same skills and similar hours but will involve a cut in salary of ...%, no ... and greater ...

I believe that the leverage applied to me by ... amounts to an abuse of position and an abuse of the ... years of loyalty I have given to ...

I am withdrawing my application for demotion within the company and wish to continue my employment with ... on the terms I currently enjoy.

(This is not a resignation letter and cannot be interpreted as one).
  • dj_flame
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Also be prepared for a fight that the new job is comparable.

Sorry I dont get that, Do you mean add that to my letter?
  • Anihilator
    Options
    Yes.

Add a bit that the new role isnt comparable as if they can argue it is they can force you into that job and not make you redundant.

Also as above ensure you make it clear you are not resigning. Just stating you don't wish the new non comparable job.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are 2 things with replacement jobs.

Is a job a potentialy suitable alternative?
    Then the company can ask you to take the job

If it is you get the option for a 4 week trial and can come up with reasons you find it not suitable for you.

Is it just another job in this case I think the company can offer the jobs without trial periods and you decide if you want them or not.

I would argue that in this case it is not a suitable alternative since it is completely different T&C that are much worse than your current ones. So it is just another job that you don't want.

If they try to argue that it is a suitable alternative then you need to use the details in the T&C to give reasons why this is not suitable for you.

I would not mention the wife, just say you don't what the job it is not a suitable alternative.
  • dj_flame
    Options
    Thanks very much for all your responces.
    I have just recieved the letter for the meeting tomorrow at 4pm.
    I won't be mentioning my spouse.
    Following suggestions,I am now going to give a letter in something like this

Re: Consultations

Dear
    On the 27th October 2009, I was informed by letter that Directors of xxxxx
    Had decided on a restructure of the xxxxx sections, And as such I was at risk of being made redundant, However, I was given the opportunity to apply for a new position within the company.

I was given just three days to apply for the posts.

Out of desperation, I applied for all three positions.

On The 3rd November in the second consultation meeting you informed me
    That I would be offered what is in essence my old job back.
    The job offered includes every aspect of my current role within the company
    With additional requirements that are not part of my current role.

However, At the second consultation you also stated that: -

I would cease to have use of my company vehicle.
    I would need to work an additional 7/8 hours per week
    I would take a reduction in salary (an amount yet to be decided)

Unfortunately, Due to the above removal of conditions from my current
    Contract of employment, It is with deep regret that I am forced to take the
    Redundancy offered by xxx

What ya think guys?.
  • Anihilator
    Options
    dj_flame wrote: »
    Thanks very much for all your responces.
    I have just recieved the letter for the meeting tomorrow at 4pm.
    I won't be mentioning my spouse.
    Following suggestions,I am now going to give a letter in something like this

Re: Consultations

Dear
    On the 27th October 2009, I was informed by letter that Directors of xxxxx
    Had decided on a restructure of the xxxxx sections, And as such I was at risk of being made redundant, However, I was given the opportunity of a new position within the company.

I was given just three days to consider these new positions.

On The 3rd November in the second consultation meeting you informed me
    That I would be offered what is in essence my old job back.
    The job offered includes every aspect of my current role within the company
    With additional requirements that are not part of my current role.

However, At the second consultation you also stated that: -

I would cease to have use of my company vehicle.
    I would need to work an additional 7/8 hours per week
    I would take a reduction in salary (an amount yet to be decided)

Unfortunately, Due to the above removal of conditions and also the uncertainty regarding other aspects of the contract of employment I am unable to consider accepting this position and change of role.

I therefore advise that I will continue under my old contract until such a time that this employment is terminated by yourself and fully expect that all my current contract terms are met.

Should you be able to offer further alternatives and/or clarification on the new role and terms which closer match my current terms I will further consider my position.

What ya think guys?.

Don't like it.

Firstly I think you need to clarify the salary for the new position first. Employers can from time to time change contracts with relevant notice. As its in essence the same job with a few different conditions I dont think you necessary are automatically entitled to say no.

I would suggest the above as edited
  • dj_flame
    dj_flame Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Don't like it.

Firstly I think you need to clarify the salary for the new position first. Employers can from time to time change contracts with relevant notice. As its in essence the same job with a few different conditions I dont think you necessary are automatically entitled to say no.

I would suggest the above as edited

They have offered redundancy mate if I dont accept new terms.
    I would say that loosing my vehicle and increase in hours is a decent
    enough breach of my t+c to warrant the above letter.
    I am not fighting them, Just telling them I want the redundancy as the new terms are not acceptable to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure