Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Comments

• Hi. After stumbling onto this forum I wonder if anyone is able to help me. My husband and myself are exectors to our very dear friend who sadly passed away almost 2 weeks ago. Everything is fairly straightforward, he was divorced, has a daughter who is herself married and resides in the US. He had no property, just rented a room and when his will was written 3 months ago ( he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and so kind of rushed the writing of it) he left any monies i.e. private pension, to his daughter. Simple enough, except shortly before he died he told my husband and myself he'd like to leave a little bit to his sister. We advised him to write that down and sign it and we'd put it with his will. Sadly he did not make it that far and now we are wondering if we can legally fullfill his wishes even though it's not in writing. He said it to the both of us while he was in hospital. Nobody else knows, so it's not going to cause any friction or upset but we are starting to feel that we would find out if we can do something for him. Thanking you in advance.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I fear that the only way you can do that is to see if his DD will agree to a Deed of Variation. If she agrees, then you can indeed give something to his sister. Otherwise you have to do what the will says, even if you don't think it's what he intended.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hi guys,

I keep seeing cheap will writing services in the newspaper for £49 and wondered how i can know if they can be trusted?

Im 39 and was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My partner and i are not married so as it stands he won't be looked after come the time so i pretty much just want to leave everything to him with the exception of my part time business which i want to leave to my business partner (non official).
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Put it this way, you can't even buy a good pair of shoes for £49 and as with everything, you get what you pay for. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • andi1872 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I keep seeing cheap will writing services in the newspaper for £49 and wondered how i can know if they can be trusted?

Im 39 and was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My partner and i are not married so as it stands he won't be looked after come the time so i pretty much just want to leave everything to him with the exception of my part time business which i want to leave to my business partner (non official).

You might be able to get that done for 49 quid.
    You might well be able to do that yourself if you get "Wills & Probate" the Which book, that you partner would find useful when the time comes.

The business needs careful handling - have you discussed with you associate?

Either way, I would "mug up" on the requirements for wills (The book goes have chapters for Scotland & N.Ireland and you need the latest copy - it is up to date on the law but not the IHT zero rate band - as the Condems had not been elected when it was being printed)
  • Hello
    I am thinking of taking a free Cancer Research will and would be obliged if anyone could tell me if it would be good quality? Thanks
  • I'm a complete newbie to this site but came across it when looking for a low cost will as I need one and don't have much cash. I didn't really want to go and see a solicitor. I eventually was recommended a great web site by a friend where you can write your will for free, honestly. It was a really easy process and I am so relieved I have got this done. The site if anyone is interested is get a free will online. co. uk. the best thing is that they look after it for me for life for only:) £3.99.
  • My friends mother has written a witnessed letter to act as her will is this legal considering the fact that one of the beneficiarys is the witness
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Dellboy wrote: »
    My friends mother has written a witnessed letter to act as her will is this legal considering the fact that one of the beneficiarys is the witness

No a witness cannot be a beneficiary. And without proper wording the letter would be worthless anyway.
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    coldhands wrote: »
    Hello
    I am thinking of taking a free Cancer Research will and would be obliged if anyone could tell me if it would be good quality? Thanks

It will be a very basic will and the emphasis will be on leaving a legacy donation to Cancer Research. If you have any property and guardianship issues then it will not likely offer comprehensive dealing of these and you would need to be very wary that the costs of covering these issues are not grossly over the going rate to compensate for all the 'free' wills that they provide.

You get nowt for nowt in this world.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure