Free and Cheap Wills discussion area

Options

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2012 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Is that a typo for IHT205 "an excepted estate" as against forms IHT4xx which are the full works required of those paying InHeritance Tax (or needing HMRC investigation).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/Preparation/DG_10029716
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    I think I need to send Probate application form PA1 and Inheritance Tax form IHT405. The latter seems to be about property even if the deceased didn't have any!
    Is that a typo for IHT205 "an excepted estate" as against forms IHT4xx which are the full works required of those paying InHeritance Tax (or needing HMRC investigation).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/Preparation/DG_10029716
    I agree with John, I think you need the IHT205, which is MUCH easier than the forms in the 400s!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    Yes sorry it is that one, it looks easier

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/forms/iht205-2006-2.pdf
  • cepheus
    edited 20 April 2012 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Evidently my local probate office is overbooked and I wouldn't get an appointment before July. However, the primary office can deal with this by mail, send me documentation, then I swear it is truthful before a solicitor for £7 (something like that). Somehow it was inevitable they would get their pound of flesh!
  • YesWillMan
    Options
    You just sign an Oath at a local Solicitors in front of a Commissioner for Oaths at most Solicitors there is usually at least one of them who is appointed as such. You swear n the Bible, or there are other versions that the facts in the Oath are correcf and you are tbe person named therein.
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 21 April 2012 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Evidently my local probate office is overbooked and I wouldn't get an appointment before July. However, the primary office can deal with this by mail, send me documentation, then I swear it is truthful before a solicitor for £7 (something like that). Somehow it was inevitable they would get their pound of flesh!

I quite frankly don't believe this, though you might be right.

It is understood that you are dealing with an "excepted estate" ie no need for HMRC, to worry about you getting away with avoiding 000's in IHT tax liability?

I would double check with your local "court"offices.
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate
    There is no point in going through the procedure unless you promptly get the embossed certificates of grant of probate. In both my cases the swearing was trivially short, in fact getting through the bomb scanner took longer.
    The certificates were produced within the half hour - done & dusted but that was in London.
  • cepheus
    edited 21 April 2012 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Well I am just reiterating what the Oxford probate registry office told me, via a link from that link (I only contacted them because my local Reading office is nearest).

I didn't discuss any details with them though.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Do us all a favour and complain to your MP.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

First you find your MP and then you write to them; the site chases then for a reply if they try to sweep things under the carpet.

Read this before writing your message
    • Please be polite, concise and to the point; if you abuse your MP you devalue the service for all users.
    • Use your own words; we block copied-and-pasted identical messages.
    • It’s a waste of time writing to MPs other than your own; your message will be ignored.
    • Read this to learn when a MP can help you – and when they can’t.
    It sounds to me like we might be on the edge of a developing fiasco like the reorganisation of HMRC around a new computer system in 2008.

[There is a similar site where you can ask a freedom of information question. I would think that should cover court statistics - I managed to dredge up some very useful information about HMRC]
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have heard of some offices being more booked up than others. At least there is a mechanism for sorting it! But as John says, you want to know how soon you'll get the certificates if you go for the local swearing thingy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • cepheus
    edited 21 April 2012 at 10:46PM
    Options
    In form iht 205 it asks

8. Did the deceased:

• receive benefits from a dependant’s pension from an alternatively secured or unsecured pension fund?

When my Father died my mother recieved a small private widows pension, is this what they mean?

Edit: the notes in IHT206 say

Question 8, second bullet

Dependant’s pension

You should answer ‘Yes’ to this question if the deceased benefited from a
    dependant’s unsecured pension fund to which they became entitled as a ‘relevant dependant’ of a scheme member who died with an alternativelysecured pension fund.

If you answer ‘Yes’ to question 8, the estate will not qualify as an excepted estate. Stop filling in form IHT205(2006) now – you will need to fill in form IHT400.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback