🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Royal Mail = Fail Whale

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i read job centres are pulling the ads for casual staff due to pending legal action on RM
    this maybe why ads have disappeared from RM's site
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My ex went to a registration event with a set interview slot on Friday to be told they were just making a list of names and there was nothing except the possibility of Saturdays and Sundays. He was number 396 on the list. He applied through the website weeks ago - the site is still showing Christmas casual staff needed at this particular depot.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My ex went to a registration event with a set interview slot on Friday to be told they were just making a list of names and there was nothing except the possibility of Saturdays and Sundays. He was number 396 on the list. He applied through the website weeks ago - the site is still showing Christmas casual staff needed at this particular depot.

given the strikes are off i expect a lot of casuals to be laid off if not already very soon
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like the RM workers have been stitched up again and agreed go back to work.
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Delta-NC wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble applying to be an seasonal temp at Royal Mail?

I've been checking for weeks for work in Glasgow and seen nothing come up. I tried calling today as someone mentioned that the Springburn mail center was advertising for staff. After three phone calls in which a robot told me to "check the website silly man" I gave up due to fears for my phone bill.

Today at the job center I see an advert for seasonal mail center staff in Glasgow! The job description told me to "apply on the website silly man" but I have been looking for weeks and I get nothing at all for Glasgow! The only places that show any work are Edinburgh and Carlisle.

Is anyone else having similar problems, or am I just missing something?

You have the wrong attitude.
  • ChrisMac81
    Options
    I've got my appointment at Motherwell tomorrow morning after applying for the Wishaw distribution centre.

I saw it mentioned above about only taking names and just Saturday/Sunday work. Surely they will be still be taking a significant amount of seasonal staff on as they do every year, no matter what happens with the strikes?
  • Serenity
    Serenity Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    Options
    ChrisMac81 wrote: »
    I've got my appointment at Motherwell tomorrow morning after applying for the Wishaw distribution centre.

I saw it mentioned above about only taking names and just Saturday/Sunday work. Surely they will be still be taking a significant amount of seasonal staff on as they do every year, no matter what happens with the strikes?

I had an appointment in Inverness on Monday. Got offered 40 p/w nightshift for two weeks. They said there would be loads of overtime though. I'm not local to Inverness so will be staying in a hostel (fun!) but with overtime should earn a nice wee bit for Christmas. Still hoping I'll get another job though - applied for 2 today :)

As for the appointment - there were about 12 of us in our time slot. About 4 of us came dressed for an interview (shirt, smart trousers etc). Others came smart casual. Some came in trackie bottoms!! Guess who got the jobs? Considering they don't have much time to speak to you appearances do count. One person came with his mum :( Felt sorry for him as she was so pushy and he didn't get the job. She asked why - they didn't say. I felt like telling her but too shy.

Anyway a few of the people for the job were up from Edinburgh :eek: :eek: This is how bad the job market still is. This is a 2-week job at not much more than min wage!!!

They only had nightshift - I took it. Those that didn't want nightshift but were offered a job got put on a waiting list for day staff and were told that a lot of people drop out due to getting something else between now and then but dunno about that this year.
    Anyway that was my experience.
  • ChrisMac81
    Options
    Serenity wrote: »
    I had an appointment in Inverness on Monday. Got offered 40 p/w nightshift for two weeks. They said there would be loads of overtime though. I'm not local to Inverness so will be staying in a hostel (fun!) but with overtime should earn a nice wee bit for Christmas. Still hoping I'll get another job though - applied for 2 today :)

As for the appointment - there were about 12 of us in our time slot. About 4 of us came dressed for an interview (shirt, smart trousers etc). Others came smart casual. Some came in trackie bottoms!! Guess who got the jobs? Considering they don't have much time to speak to you appearances do count. One person came with his mum :( Felt sorry for him as she was so pushy and he didn't get the job. She asked why - they didn't say. I felt like telling her but too shy.

Anyway a few of the people for the job were up from Edinburgh :eek: :eek: This is how bad the job market still is. This is a 2-week job at not much more than min wage!!!

They only had nightshift - I took it. Those that didn't want nightshift but were offered a job got put on a waiting list for day staff and were told that a lot of people drop out due to getting something else between now and then but dunno about that this year.
    Anyway that was my experience.

That's good you got some work from it.

I guess it's just a short 1-1 and checking you have everything you are meant to bring with you?

When do you start? Is it just for two weeks before xmas?
  • Serenity
    Serenity Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    Options
    ChrisMac81 wrote: »
    That's good you got some work from it.

I guess it's just a short 1-1 and checking you have everything you are meant to bring with you?

When do you start? Is it just for two weeks before xmas?

Yeah that's exactly what it is. If you had all the docs and looked vaguely employable they then sent you on to the Royal Mail rep who signed you up and told you the conditions etc.

At this sorting office it is 2 weeks from the 7th - 18th Dec. But was given the impression there is loads of overtime so might run into the weekend if you're willing. Of course they might have just been saying that to get me to sign :p

Good luck tomorrow :)
  • ChrisMac81
    Options
    Serenity wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what it is. If you had all the docs and looked vaguely employable they then sent you on to the Royal Mail rep who signed you up and told you the conditions etc.

At this sorting office it is 2 weeks from the 7th - 18th Dec. But was given the impression there is loads of overtime so might run into the weekend if you're willing. Of course they might have just been saying that to get me to sign :p

Good luck tomorrow :)

Thanks.

Always good to have a rough idea what i'm going into tomorrow.

I actually took nightshift as my preference as i thought i'd take any extra shift allowances they may have. Assuming there is a shift allowance for it. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport