We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy to let mortgage for under-25, first time buyer?

Do any mortgages exist? I don't meet the paper criteria for any of the major banks (being under 25), despite being in a very viable financial position

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Can you explain your viable position?

    Any figures you can post would be good
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Have you talked to the obvious buy2let brokers???
    If so what did they say?
    If not, give it a go.. they are motivated (£££ commission) to help you...

    Cheers!

    Lodger
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    What deposit have you saved??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    My financial advisor said all I need to do is get a regular mortgage buy the property as though I intended to live in it myself.... then 3 months later I can legitimately change my mind and decide to let it out...

    Or is that fraud?:money:
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    kriss_boy wrote: »
    My financial advisor said all I need to do is get a regular mortgage buy the property as though I intended to live in it myself.... then 3 months later I can legitimately change my mind and decide to let it out...

    Or is that fraud?:money:
    You will need to get the mortgage lender's permission to do this.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    JimpsEd wrote: »
    Do any mortgages exist? I don't meet the paper criteria for any of the major banks (being under 25), despite being in a very viable financial position

    Which lending criteria rules out under 25s?
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    JimpsEd wrote: »
    Do any mortgages exist? I don't meet the paper criteria for any of the major banks (being under 25), despite being in a very viable financial position

    Posted at 3:34pm School out by any chance???:D
  • j19
    j19 Posts: 69 Forumite
    chambta wrote: »
    Which lending criteria rules out under 25s?
    "25 years of age or older" - Halifax, Lloyds, Barclays
  • So how much deposit have you saved up? Halifax require 25% deposit for a BTL mortage, as well as a minimum income of £25,000.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.