How to register as disabled?

Options
How do I register as disabled?

I am not after any dosh or anything, though.

Thanks.

Comments

• jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't really any way to be registered disabled. If the definition of disability applies to you, which is:

For the purposes of the Act:
    • substantial means neither minor nor trivial
    • long term means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months (there are special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions)
    • normal day-to-day activities include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping
    • a normal day-to-day activity must affect one of the 'capacities' listed in the Act which include mobility, manual dexterity, speech, hearing, seeing and memory.
    Then you can call yourself disabled. Councils used to have lists, but they no longer do.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    If you want it for concessions purposes then DLA/blue badge should do. Most councils no longer have a register for disabled people.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some councils do have registers; but I believe this is only for visually impaired or hearing impaired people.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • jetpacker
    Options
    It depends on what type of disability you have: deaf, blind, amputee etc. But in all cases you have to register with the local health authority. Speak to your doctor and ask for information in your local area.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many councils stopped having a register when they discovered far more disabledf people didn't register than did which made a register useless for service planning purposes.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    jetpacker wrote: »
    It depends on what type of disability you have: deaf, blind, amputee etc. But in all cases you have to register with the local health authority. Speak to your doctor and ask for information in your local area.

You do not HAVE to register with your local health authority.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    babypepsi wrote: »
    How do I register as disabled?

I am not after any dosh or anything, though.

Thanks.

Why do you want to register. As many people have said most areas do not register as disabled now however if there is something you want to get out of registration there may be a much better way. eg cinema pass, blue badge etc
  • babypepsi
    Options
    It depends on what type of disability you have: deaf, blind, amputee etc. [bold]But in all cases you have to register with the local health authority.[/bold] Speak to your doctor and ask for information in your local area.

What is the purpose behind this?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options

'Health authorities' no longer exist, and SHAs/ PCTs do not keep lists of disabled people.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt they are up to date. I've never been asked, but I guess I would count as having one.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure