Three dongle not working in new house

Options
hello,

I moved house this time last week and even though my new place isn't even 5 mins away from the old my 3 Dongle is refusing to work in my room. I am currently borrowing a housemates room upstairs to use it, this is obviously no good at all - I phoned the helpline and we spent over an hour doing various things none of which worked .........

The three deal seemed like such a good one (15gb for £15) .......... is there anything I can do and whats the next best deal if not??

Thanks

Jen

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    To work from indoors you need to be within about 500m of the cell.

You can check what cells are nearby using the Ofcom site - http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ - you need UMTS cells on 2100MHz

You should look at using a USB extension lead and fixing your dongle to a window facing the cell you are using. You could maybe get a tinfoil reflector working - the sizes are not so critical that these designed for 2100MHz won't work although for best results scale by 2400/2100 to make them slightly bigger
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

3 is rubbish.

Anybody know how to unlock a 3 dongle?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2009 at 10:42PM
    Options
    Try the signal in your loft. If it works, consider buying a '3' 3g Wifi Router, it can be placed in the loft permanently and allow multiple computers to connect in your house. Maybe you can combine this idea with the tinfoil antenna method.

[ but note, that article seems t pertain to 2.4 gHz WiFi range extension rather than 3g which is around 2 gHz ]
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the 3 wifi router acts the same as any other router, it just takes it's surce from the dongle rather than a phone line, so the idea's sound
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • jenny2009
    Options
    Just use a long USB lead and hang the dongle out the window. I know a few people who do do that.

Jen
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2009 at 12:46AM
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    To work from indoors you need to be within about 500m of the cell.

I think your telling porkies.
    Im 2 miles from the nearest one and get a constant 2+mb on my 3 dongle :j
    608610355.png
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I think your telling porkies.
    Im 2 miles from the nearest one and get a constant 2+mb on my 3 dongle :j
    If you have a clear line of site than the range can exceed 500m but I seriously doubt that your nearest cell is 2miles away. There is a 3 cell just over a mile from where I live and it didn't work at all for me so I returned it and got a Vodafone one instead.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jenny2009 wrote: »
    Just use a long USB lead and hang the dongle out the window. I know a few people who do do that.

Jen
    it could get wet....
  • top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to go into the 3 shop tommorrow and speak to them about cancelling the contract. Hopefully there is another deal about that is as good which will work ........

Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport