debit cards for under 18's???

hey, im 16 and starting college next year, i already have a current account with Nationwide, but they won't issue a debit card to anyone under 18. I know some of the people at school have them, but can anyone tell me which banks (and the current accounts if you know) that will issue me a debit card.... i only want it for ordering stuff online.

thanks

Chris

Comments

• xhaling
    xhaling Posts: 16 Forumite
    I'm pretty sure you can't get any of the major debit cards at 16 ie. Visa, Mastercard etc. but what you can get is a Solo card. It is a debit card, however a lot of places (especially online) don't accept it.

If you want one, then you can get them with Natwest and HSBC, so your best bet is to check out their websites and then go down to one of their branches and ask them if you can open up an account with them.

Hope that helps!
  • robgriz
    robgriz Posts: 72 Forumite
    Until you're 18, a Solo card will be your best bet. I've never had a problem using it in any online shops, and the only high street shop I haven't been able to use it in is WH Smith's, and also for buying train tickets. Other than that, they're great until you can get anything else :)
  • lauz_snores
    lauz_snores Posts: 13 Forumite
    You should be able to get a Solo or Electron and they're accepted in most places ... though with HSBC if you earn over £300 a month you are able to get a Maestro/Switch (rather than having to wait until you are 18). If you want a debit card and Nationwide arent budging, change your account!

And xhaling, a Mastercard isn't a debit card. ;)
  • xhaling
    And xhaling, a Mastercard isn't a debit card. ;)

Well it should be! Get with the times Mastercard! ;)

I've never had a Solo card but my friend said that she had problems ordering stuff with it. Guess it's just melodrama eh?
  • cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    You should be able to get a Solo or Electron and they're accepted in most places

WHSmiths accept them now, as do Boots. The only places that I have used that don't are thetrainline.com , train stations (but there's always a cashpoint), and ebookers.com

It's a great card - I got mine with Natwest. If you've got a lot of money, then keep the Nationwide account as the interest's better, but run two accounts at the same time.
  • pgb2006
    pgb2006 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Get a Electron, I have one with barclays. They are the best in my view. On any internet sites, just say it's a visa card and it has never not worked for me! And I am yet to find a shop that don't accept them. :D
  • xhaling
    Most mobile phone stores don't accept either Solo or Electron
  • freebie_junkie
    freebie_junkie Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    halifax let you get a visa electron which is accepted at most shops :)
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • pgb2006
    pgb2006 Posts: 37 Forumite
    xhaling wrote:
    Most mobile phone stores don't accept either Solo or Electron

Everyone I have been in accepts electron. Carphone warehouse, the link can't think of any others now!

Generally, I find that if a place accepts normal visa, they accept electron
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i don't have a visa electron - i did quite a few years ago when i was with the woolwich but changed banks (on multiple occasions!) since then. i've noticed on quite a few websites which charge a credit/debit card fee for processing that visa electron is the only card they don't have any charge for..... so they can be pretty useful for some things!
    :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport