Scottish Power price increase from 9th August

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
3 replies 1.7K views
7matt77matt7 Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Recieved a letter yesterday letting me know that Scottish power are increasing their prices with effect from 9th august. I'm on dual fuel and the unit charges are increasing by about 8% >:( Standing Charges are unchanged.

I suggest people shop around as I've found something cheaper with Powergen via Martin's link to Energy helpline Cashback in his artcle headed Cheapest Gas & Electricity PLUS £20 cashback! (prices on Uswitch and 'save on your bills' are out of date)

A couple of other things.

As has been noted on previous threads, Scottish Power vastly underestimate meter readings. Does this mean that if I stay with them (or indeed, attempt to move) any unbilled units will be charged at the higher charge. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to take meter readings and send them at the weekend.

Are they allowed to send me a letter (dated August 2004) advising me that prices are to increase next week - isn't a month's notice more reasonable?

If this is a nationwide increase (I live in Birmingham)their Customer Service team may be very busy dealing with MoneySavers.

Cheers

Matt
They call me Mr Pig!

Replies

• alaredalared Forumite
    4K Posts
    Pgen are also increasing their prices from Sept.
    This is typical of all power providers,one puts up prices and they all follow suit,like sheep.
    If there was really true competition the company that was brave enough to cut prices would be the biggest winner in the country because everyone would be flocking to sign up with them and all the others would be out of business.
    The only competition seems to be who`ll put up prices first.
    I`ve always believed that it does`nt really matter who you are with as long as you get both electricity and gas from them.
    The only exception being British Gas,who I would`nt buy a box of matches off.
  • I got my letter today as well.

If my maths is ok, mine has gone up by a massive 13.6%. :'(

The old rate was 1.204p and the new rate is 1.368p.

May need to check up on the compertition again !

Phil
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job i chose a capped rate when i applied for my new account.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides