what to do about condensation?

Options
my windows are single glazed and they are allways wet. its starting to damage the paint around the windows i dont know why its even happing. any one know what i can do to stop it otherwise im gonna have to paint every few months!

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had this in the past.

You can try leaving a couple of windows open all the time to improve ventilation, and wipe the windows every morning when you get up.

Or you can get a dehumidifier, which will scare you with the amount of water it collects, but will solve the problem.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    The first thing I would do is try to get to the bottom of why it's happening. Boiling pans in the kitchen, closed window in the bathroom or drying laundry indoors can put a massive load of moisture into the air
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Condensation.:eek:....a very big problem. I live in a HA owned property and it has been a problem for me. The HA won't do anything about it. I bought a de-humidifier, and yes, it collects gallons of water, but does not solve the problem. I too have to paint every year. I try to leave the windows open, but when it's freezing or raining you can't. I just think that some properites are very badly designed...I've lived in lots over the years, and never had this problem before.
    I wish you luck with your problem...and hope you find a soloution to it...I am still looking for one...:rolleyes:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hob,

I would agree with others who have said you need to find the cause of the condensation so I've moved your thread over to the In My Home board where you should get some help from the experts there.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation sadly is the answer OR have it so cold inside that it is warmer outside - but that probably involves not breathing so it's not a great solution!

I have this problem and I do keep a window open overnight and especially when I've got wet washing hanging around.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • economiser
    Options
    As already said ventilation. Or a combination of more ventilation, more heating or less moisture generation. You don't say which rooms. Kitchens, bathrooms or laundry areas are obvious problems but bedrooms as well, it's surprising how much moisture we breath out during the night.
  • hob
    hob Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    ops sorry all of my rooms seem to be wet, the bath room is ok gets a little damp but nothing big. the hallway livingroom and Kitchen. my bed room is ok tho , strangely the walk in wardroob is getting a wet window .(odd that there is even a windo there but why is it getting wet???!!)
  • cgrjtr-2509
    Options
    Hi Hob,

I would have to agree with the suggestions of most 'respondees', especially the need to establish the cause which basically is warm, moisture laden air coming into contact with cold surfaces. (Typical example is in our bedrooms where during the course of the night we breath warm, moist air into the room, (as much as 3ltrs per person), hitting against a cold window and forming the beads of moisture and small puddles at the bottom of the window).

The solution however is not a dehumidifier. This will not fix the problem. The answer is as many say; ventialtion combined with a constant temperature and not eratic heating.

Mechanical heat recovery ventilation and positive pressure ventillation is very effective against the reluctance to keep windows open especially in the middle of winter.

For information on treatment solutions visit Wykamol.com and select Anti Condensation.
  • furry_tractor
    Options
    i also have this problem, best thing is to open a window every morning and wipe them down as said. I have also seen somewhere that if you rub a potato that has been cut in half on the window and then buff it off it should stop it. I tried it but think i did it wrong, im sure it was them cleaner women off the tele that said it.
  • The_Economist
    Options
    hob wrote: »
    my windows are single glazed and they are allways wet. its starting to damage the paint around the windows i dont know why its even happing. any one know what i can do to stop it otherwise im gonna have to paint every few months!

I have posted this link a few times now might be of some help.

http://www.specifypga.com/index.php/general-information-mainmenu-3/condensation-myths-and-facts-mainmenu-45
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure