Reclaiming Credit Card Charges - Advice

Options
OK well lets see if I can explain this:

I have had two credit cards over the last 6 years. The accounts were sold/passed on to Debt Collection Agencies a couple of years back and I have been paying a small monthly amount off.

Questions:

1) Can I still reclaim charges even though the debts are not with the credit card companies any more?

2) If I use the template letters on this site how hard is it to get the money from them? The Credit Cards are Virgin and Capital One.

3) On the template letters it has a space for you to put your account number, I take it this is usually the card number (currently don't have any statements)

4) Does anyone know the best number to contact virgin on to find out my account number?

Any other advice is also welcomed, thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    Options
    That-Guy wrote: »
    OK well lets see if I can explain this:

I have had two credit cards over the last 6 years. The accounts were sold/passed on to Debt Collection Agencies a couple of years back and I have been paying a small monthly amount off.

Questions:

1) Can I still reclaim charges even though the debts are not with the credit card companies any more?
    Yes
    2) If I use the template letters on this site how hard is it to get the money from them? The Credit Cards are Virgin and Capital One.
    Ask for every single charge since the account was opened and not just 6 years.
    3) On the template letters it has a space for you to put your account number, I take it this is usually the card number (currently don't have any statements)
    yep it is
    4) Does anyone know the best number to contact virgin on to find out my account number?
    I don't unfortunately but include as much information as possible for them to locate your details
    Any other advice is also welcomed, thanks in Advance :)

Please see above.....
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • jdx
    jdx Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Ask for every single charge since the account was opened and not just 6 years.
    Am I reading this right. You can go back as far as the card was first opened? Even if it was over 10 years?!

I have used the template asking back charges in the last 6 years. Can I now go back and ask for charges I've missed out?
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    jdx wrote: »
    Am I reading this right. You can go back as far as the card was first opened? Even if it was over 10 years?!

I have used the template asking back charges in the last 6 years. Can I now go back and ask for charges I've missed out?
    yes you can.

• jdx
    Options
    yes you can.
    As much as that is good news, it prompts further questions from me, apologies.

The template said 6 years data. Barclay sent 6 years of statements. I claimed back and closed the card account. Do I now contact them asking for all data from when the card was opened? Do I send out the subject access fee again with another letter? Need a little guidance in wording it. Barclay stated 'this is the final offer and the matter is now closed'. Not sure how forthcoming they will be.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of claiming back all charges. ;)
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    jdx wrote: »
    As much as that is good news, it prompts further questions from me, apologies.

The template said 6 years data. Barclay sent 6 years of statements. I claimed back and closed the card account. Do I now contact them asking for all data from when the card was opened? Do I send out the subject access fee again with another letter? Need a little guidance in wording it. Barclay stated 'this is the final offer and the matter is now closed'. Not sure how forthcoming they will be.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of claiming back all charges. ;)
    yes you do.
    if they sent a full and final offer then that was for the old claim.

• jdx
    edited 31 October 2009 at 7:18PM
    Options
    yes you do.
    if they sent a full and final offer then that was for the old claim.
    This is indeed good news. The only downside is sending the £10 again. Any chance I can also claim that back? :D

That might be pushing it. Thanks natweststaffmember.
  • That-Guy
    That-Guy Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I better crack on with this then.

Will they accept a £10 cheque even if its in my girlfriends name? As I only have a basic Easy Cash account from halifax which does not come with a cheque book :(
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    I better crack on with this then.

Will they accept a £10 cheque even if its in my girlfriends name? As I only have a basic Easy Cash account from halifax which does not come with a cheque book :(
    Yes but make sure she writes on the cheque "for the purposes of DSAR" just so that they do not pay into your account and claim it to be an "error".

• That-Guy
    That-Guy Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your help you have been very helpful.

Just out of interest what does "for the purposes of DSAR" mean? mand where is the best place to put it?
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    Thanks for your help you have been very helpful.

Just out of interest what does "for the purposes of DSAR" mean? mand where is the best place to put it?
    Data Subject Access Request or DSAR

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills