How long?

Hi, just wondering if i took a job at say like 25 hours a week how long would the Working Tax Family Credits take to be paid to me from a fresh claim? as i understand it they're paid through the employer...so would i get them with my first wage from that employer? also would claiming Working Tax Credit put an employer off from employing me if mentioned at an interview do you think? only if it's paid through them they may see it as a bit of a hassle.

Thanks Mark.

Comments

• Hi Mark,

it is not really clear from your question but ....

Are you unemployed?
    Do you have children living with you?
    Do you have a partner?
    Does she work?

You should not have to mention tax credits to an employer in an interview, they do not have anything to do with WTC apart from pay them in your wage or you can ask WTC to pay it directly in your bank account.
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Do you have any children? Are you over 25?
    If your over 25 with no children you have to be working 30 hours or more to qualify for WTC. Its paid by Tax Credits. How long it takes depends on you calling up for a claim form, it getting sent out, you filling it in and sending it back, it getting looked at

Edit- I took too long typing lol!
  • karenx wrote: »
    Its not paid through your employer its paid by Tax Credits. How long it takes depends on you calling up for a claim form, it getting sent out, you filling it in and sending it back, it getting looked at
    You can have it paid through your wages or directly into your bank.
  • karenx
    You can have it paid through your wages or directly into your bank.

I take it that only applies if your claim is 1 without children? Iv never once been asked or seen it on my forms to get it paid with my wages
  • karenx wrote: »
    I take it that only applies if your claim is 1 without children? Iv never once been asked or seen it on my forms to get it paid with my wages
    I am not sure, when I first claimed WTC [before children] they automatically paid it in my wages. When I left my job after ML I asked them to pay it in my bank account instead of Mr Always wages.
  • karenx
    Must be if you dont have children then. I only claimed after I had my first so thats why I maybe didnt get asked
  • markbass
    markbass Posts: 199 Forumite
    Yeah my circumstances are that i am a single parent have one child who lives with me and is is 17 and in full time education so i have to find a job over 16 hours a week to qualify, not many jobs out there, i am unemployed so considered part time! and just wondered if to claim WTC i had to get something signed from the employer, so therefor they'd have to know or like i said if it goes though my wages then they'd know anyhow.

cheers mark
  • Tax Credits is not paid through your wages, it used to be that they could be when they were first introduced but not anymore. There is no input at all from employers in the administration of Tax Credits unless TCO specifically contact them for information, which they very rarely do. I doubt your potential employers will be bothered if you'll be claiming WTC or not as there is no 'hassle' for them at all really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure