We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Onetel - line rental and outside calls

Options
Milarky
Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
I have Onetel CPS (for free w/e calls) and rent line from BT. Onetel have called me and invited me to sign up for their cheaper line rental instead. They claim to be 10 percent cheaper than BT (which at the moment they are). But the pushy woman also said - and here correct me if this is wrong, please - that they had a 'guarantee' that they would remain 10% cheaper in the future also. Is this corrent? I looked but could find no reference to this on the Onetel/Talk talk site. Also she said I could carry on using (and she mentioned it I didn't) other providers of indirect access like 1899. Is that true also?

If they will match BT by always being 10% cheaper and allow cheap call providers too that would interest me - but somehow I think I've been deceived. What's the truth?

Thanks M
.....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam

Comments

• Roman_Camel
    Roman_Camel Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I too am a customer of One-tel (Talk-Talk). I have mobile and home phone with them and have been a customer of theirs for some years now.

I recently have been called by them twice now trying to encourage me to take up their line-rental,once again with the same criteria.I am not happy at this hard-sell and does anyone know why they seem so keen to sell this product.
    I took the opportunity on the second call as to ask for a mobile upgrade as when I first became a customer of theirs they didn't seem to mind upgrading my phone.Now its a totally different story so I will be looking elsewhere now for a mobile. They say I don't spend enough with them! Average spend is about 40/45 pounds per month.

Its just a bit mystifying as to this 'hard-sell' of the line rental which intrigues me.

Can also anyone tell me where the Call Center is?
    RoMaN CaMeL
  • AP
    AP Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ... Can also anyone tell me where the Call Center is?

Probably not in the UK.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Its just a bit mystifying as to this 'hard-sell' of the line rental which intrigues me.
    The reason, although well concealed, is simple.

When they (OneTel is now part of the TalkTalk / Carphone Warehouse / JustDial / Tele2 group BTW) manage to 'convince' you to allow them to re-sell BT line rental to you (possibly at a headline rate which undercuts BT), they will then have the ability to bar you from using any other carriers for your calls. They may not enforce that yet but they will have the ability and they will do it in the future.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Roman_Camel
    Roman_Camel Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

I am definately going to start looking around for new phone supplier.
    RoMaN CaMeL
  • smiffy
    smiffy Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It seems that TalkTalk have taken over from JustDial and decied to charge me 99p per line for free evenign and weekend calls.

Does anybody offer this for free still?
    How do I cancel my CPS with TalkTalk?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    smiffy wrote:
    It seems that TalkTalk have taken over from JustDial and decied to charge me 99p per line for free evenign and weekend calls.

Does anybody offer this for free still?
    How do I cancel my CPS with TalkTalk?
    Primus Saver Option 2 - click the 'HERE' link in my signature below.

Don't cancel - let Primus do the work for you.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport