WARNING: B&Q 3 for 2 Christmas Decorations

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
5 replies 1.3K views
izzwizz_2izzwizz_2 Forumite
382 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
B&Q are having a promotion at the moment on Christmas decorations (3 for 2). Unfortunately, the tills have a glitch - taking off the cheapest items when you buy multiples. For example, buy 3 x £4 and 3 x £1.48 items and the till takes off 2 of the £1.48 items. You have to put the items through in separate batches to get the offer to work properly.

It took me half an hour at the checkout to sort this out tonight - please check receipts carefully!

Replies

• Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to 3 for 2 offers, it is always the cheaper item that is the 'free' one.
  • ShaneUKShaneUK Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Jo_F wrote: »
    When it comes to 3 for 2 offers, it is always the cheaper item that is the 'free' one.

True - but if you buy 6 items, it should be the third most expensive, and the cheapest that become free.

For example, if you bought something that cost £4, £3.50, £3, £2.50, £2 and £1, it should knock off the £3 (£4, £3.50 and £3 lumped together) and the £1 (the £2.50, £2 and £1) lumped together.

What the original poster is saying is that in this scenario the £1 and £2 are being knocked off.
  • LynseyLynsey Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well explained ShaneUK. Sometimes this happens on meals on a 2-4-1 offer when 4 meals are purchased, the cheapest two are knocked off. The Spirit Group used to be guilty of this (maybe still the case??), happily some of the staff were aware and would enter as two transactions.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Always, ALWAYS put 3 for 2 items through the till in separate transactions, unless you're sure about the company policy. I like to think it was me, and other pains in the neck like me, who caused M&S to change to a fair play system. (I'm really sorry if you were behind me in the till queue that school uniform day, but the difference overall was almost £50).
    import this
  • laurel7172 wrote: »
    Always, ALWAYS put 3 for 2 items through the till in separate transactions, unless you're sure about the company policy. I like to think it was me, and other pains in the neck like me, who caused M&S to change to a fair play system. (I'm really sorry if you were behind me in the till queue that school uniform day, but the difference overall was almost £50).

Your so right laurel, I also saved an absolute fortune in M&S doing just that. Got tutted at a few times but too bad, better in my pocket than M&S's :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals