Think 25 scheme expands?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
20 replies 2.1K views
rl290rl290 Forumite
314 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I just got ID'ed under the "Think 25" scheme at Sainsbury's. What do you think I was buying?

No it wasn't alcohol.!

Nor was it tobacco.!

Not knives or razor blades.!

It was, in fact, a DVD film, which is rated..... PG! To be more specific, it's a copy of Monsters vs Aliens, which I expect will be a very popular gift for CHILDREN this Christmas.!

Could anyone explain why? Everyone around me in the queue was a bit baffled. After I queried it, the cashier said "oh, I har to ask because you don't look 25 and it came up on the screen." I think she missed the point.!

Any ideas?

R !

Replies

• TarryTarry Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    I got asked if I was over 16 the other day when buying painkillers and I'm in my early twenties, but I didn't mind, we all have to do it.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • having not long worked for the company that employ me, the youngsters around me are waiting for my Service award. They'll be expecting about 25 years, I know it will be 5!

Canna wait
  • rl290rl290 Forumite
    314 Posts
    Tarry wrote: »
    I got asked if I was over 16 the other day when buying painkillers and I'm in my early twenties, but I didn't mind, we all have to do it.

Terry, you've missed the point. Painkillers can be dangerous if misused. You would not get a pack of them to a child. The parallel with a children's film is a bit misplaced!
  • rl290rl290 Forumite
    314 Posts
    having not long worked for the company that employ me, the youngsters around me are waiting for my Service award. They'll be expecting about 25 years, I know it will be 5!

Canna wait

Freddie, I'm not complaining about looking (or not looking) one's age. I'm querying why there is a 25 year restriction on buying children's films. What next.... You have to be 25 to buy toys!?

R
  • janninewjanninew Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    rl290 wrote: »
    I just got ID'ed under the "Think 25" scheme at Sainsbury's. What do you think I was buying?

No it wasn't alcohol.!

Nor was it tobacco.!

Not knives or razor blades.!

It was, in fact, a DVD film, which is rated..... PG! To be more specific, it's a copy of Monsters vs Aliens, which I expect will be a very popular gift for CHILDREN this Christmas.!

Could anyone explain why? Everyone around me in the queue was a bit baffled. After I queried it, the cashier said "oh, I har to ask because you don't look 25 and it came up on the screen." I think she missed the point.!

Any ideas?

R !

I read a similar story in the paper last week about a 30 year old man being asked for ID to buy a 12A film in Sainsbury's?! I'm all for asking for ID for alcohol, knives etc. if you look under 25, but Sainsbury's seem to be taking it a little far! The guy in question was clearly over 12 years old, he didn't have any ID on him, so his Dad had to buy it for him!!

Sometimes I think the world is going mad!!
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • At my store if a newspaper has a free pg film in it we are told not to sell it to anyone under 18 *shrug* i guess it's cos it's parental guidance that we shouldn't sell it to kids when they may not want their kids to watch it
  • vylevyle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Sounds like the person who put the items on the stock database ticked the wrong age restriction prompt. I doubt it was intentional.
  • junojuno Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of DVDs have the same price, and therefore have the same barcode. So if any of them at that price are over 18, the till prompt will come up for all items. This can be ignored if the DVD clearly says a different age, but if the cashier is unsure then it's understandable she asked.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• edited 31 October 2009 at 5:30AM
    NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2009 at 5:30AM
    juno wrote: »
    A lot of DVDs have the same price, and therefore have the same barcode. So if any of them at that price are over 18, the till prompt will come up for all items. This can be ignored if the DVD clearly says a different age, but if the cashier is unsure then it's understandable she asked.

huh?

Unless the companies have stuck their own barcode labels on the DVD's*, they will not (nay, can not) have the same barcode, as the barcode is a unique identifier for that stock item, and often every variant of it** (that's the main point of it, it lets the companies track individual lines and order them quickly/easily).
    The operator should have just not bothered as it's an obvious mistake, and all DVD's sold in supermarkets should have the BBFC ratings clearly listed anyway, but I suspect the operator didn't want to risk getting into trouble.

It's more likely whoever programmed the tills put the "think 25" warning on all DVD's (stupid), or possibly whoever did the data entry at head office flagged the product line wrongly, and the tills are automatically showing it up due to the flag.

*Labour intensive (and has to be put directly over the existing label to work every time), expensive, time consuming to do right (much more than just changing the value for the stock ID at head office, and the shelf label/throwing a £3.99 or whatever sticker up on the front), and screws the stock control system up

**Even just a change of packaging can result in a new barcode identifier (I use barcodes to help track my DVD collection and looked into exactly how they worked a while back).
  • ShaneUKShaneUK Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    juno wrote: »

Sorry, but I completly disagree!

No matter what a price is, a barcode will be different for ever product. Prices change as well, so if two DVD's shared a price, and then one of them changed, that would cause a problem if both had the same barcode!

That is like saying that if a packed of crisps and a bar of chocolate were both 50p, they would have the same barcode.

OP - the reason you would have been challenged is that to purchase a PG film you (legally) have to be over 18. Therefore, like any other "18" product, the "challenge the customer" if they look under 25 will apply.

Yes, in principle it does sound completly daft, but that is the UK law! I expect that if they did sell the film to someone who was, or appeared to be, under 18 a fine could apply to both the store, and the cashier.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals