Condenser tumble dryers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
7 replies 3.9K views
shalisshalis Forumite
134 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
We are considering purchasing a CONDENSER tumble dryer which can only be sited in our garage. Venting would be very awkward mainly due to the distance from a window etc. One retailer recently told me that because of the temperature in a garage (in the Winter presumably) that the steam may not condense and the machine may not work. I telephoned BOSCH Customer Services and they told me that BOSCH dryers with SENSORS will not work at temperatures below 16C and will display an "Error" message. This applies to both VENTED and CONDENSER dryers. My query is this: If I purchase a condenser dryer with NO SENSORS, presumably it will run for the length of time you set it for, and then switch off, effectively eliminating this problem? If this is the case I would be grateful for any advice on a good reliable make. BOSCH cost more than I want to pay.

Replies

• rexelrexel Forumite
    588 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    i have a tumble dryer in garage with no sensors it alaways works in winter no matter how cold it is
  • shalisshalis Forumite
    134 Posts
    rexel,
    Thankyou. Can I ask how long you have had your machine? Checking on the Internet it seems there are very few without sensors nowadays. So far I have only found about three Condenser machines without sensors.....................One Indesit, one Hotpoint and a White Knight.
  • edited 29 October 2009 at 5:13PM
    warmhands.coldheartwarmhands.coldheart Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    edited 29 October 2009 at 5:13PM
    May be off help... Condensor Boxes get a mixed review... Guess it depends how often it'll be used. Ours is going at least once a day if not more during the winter.. 2 under 3's who love the outdoors :rolleyes: :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=108924

I personally wouldn't go near a condensor Dryer as they tend to have a lower capacity to dry the cloths properly & take longer to dry the cloths in general too from my own experience. Also if it's a cheaper model it tends to be crap (Get what you pay for I guess.) Again depends how much usage it'll get...

Is the wall the dryer is against an exterior wall in that would it be possible to put a hole in the wall and put a grill over it to vent it through. It's really not too hard to do if you know someone with an SDS Drill and a bit of time!!
  • shalisshalis Forumite
    134 Posts
    Unfortunately outside wall would be directly out on to neighbours property, as it is right on boundary. Could cause a problem which I wouldn't want. Next possibility would entail a vent about 12 or 14 feet long, hence reason for condenser model. Interestingly I have read a fair number of reviews on vented dryers (sensor)where people say that the clothes are still wet/damp when they come out as the sensors turn the machine off too early. Hard to know. Ones I have viewed range from £200 - £250. Had looked at Bosch for instance. Much more expensive, but they all now have sensors. Indesit in particular looks a possibility. As regards usage we would not expect to use every day, and it would be used more in Winter.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • rexelrexel Forumite
    588 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    shalis wrote: »
    rexel,
    Thankyou. Can I ask how long you have had your machine? Checking on the Internet it seems there are very few without sensors nowadays. So far I have only found about three Condenser machines without sensors.....................One Indesit, one Hotpoint and a White Knight.
    my machine is a creda easy load condenser energy save dryer i have had it about 10 years and it is a great dryer
  • SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    We have a Zanussi condenser tumble dryer, clothes always come out dry (I always try to iron them straight away so I don't have them bone dry). It's been working fine for 5 years so far, not a problem with it and I'd recommend it to anyone!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • I think the the only problem with Rexel & Sagaris's Posts is that "They are 5 & 10 Years Old machines"

As they say... they don't make them now like they used to!! My Mother had a Hotpoint Tumble Dryer for 15 years.. It finally died about 4 years ago.. has been through 2 since....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals