Costco-some questions

Options
Thinking of joining Costco,but before i splash out £28 for individual membership i want to know if it would be suitable for me,here goes,
1)Is it possible to get some kind of "day pass",and if so would my friend who doesnt fit the "employment category"be able to get a day pass with me?
2)was thinking of splitting membership between 3 friends(and splitting bulk buy),would my 3 friends be able to shop with me using only my card?
3)do i get 1 card or 2 for £28 membership?,if only 1,then can another card be purchased or can someone come as my "guest"?
Thanks guys,sorry to ask so much,but theres little info online,and i dont know any other members,apart from people posting on here.

PS,any good deals on combi TV/DVD or breadmakers just now?...i'd be registering at the Glasgow Costco.
PPS,Is it realy cheaper,or do supermarkets win with BOGOFF;s,special offers etc?,or is Argos etc cheaper for gifts electrics due to weekly deals??
Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)

Comments

• vannus279
    Options
    1) If you are there up to two people can accompany you on your card.
    2) see 1
    3)A free additional card is available for someone who share your name and address(ie spouse)
    sure someon ewill correct me if im wrong.
    Is it worth it?
    I think so yes but only if you use it. Electronics tend to be cheaper(but still shop around) Tv's come with 5 year g/tee(you must remain member for this)
    costco also do offers like bogof or buy 2 save £x.
    Personally i think the produce is really good quality epecially meat the sirloin and fillet steak is aboulutely fantastic.
    But go along and speak to customer services they will let you have a wander round the store to see if its for you.
  • HB81
    HB81 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I think they will allow you to go in and look around (but not buy anything) if you tell them you are considering joining.

You get 2 cards with the normal membership and the card has a photo on, so only you can use it, but you can take in 2 other people with you on your card.
    Extra cards can be added to your account, can't remember how much it is now, maybe £12 or so?

One thing to be aware of is that you can only pay by cash or debit card, no credit cards.

I think it is often cheaper if you compare like for like, but most things are branded so for lots of food you can often get a cheaper supermarket own-brand version. You have to be quite careful and make sure you know what you usually pay for things and make sure you look at the price including VAT if applicable as prices both with and without are listed.

The best thing for me is the meat - fantastic quality but it all comes in quite large packs so you need a big freezer or to split with family/friends. The pizzas and birthday cakes are very popular too, well all the bakery products are really!
    For the electrical products I'm not too sure how they compare price-wise on a lot of it, but I think they have a 5 year guarantee on everything (certainly used to) and usually have great customer service so for some that might be worth paying a bit extra for.

Hope that helps. Best bet is prob to go and ask to look around armed with pen and paper to make notes of prices etc then you can compare and work out whether it really is worthwhile for you.
  • aitch-aitch
    Options
    I think you first two questions have been answered.

Is it worth it - for me yes! I have one cat who only eats felix and the money we save on that v supermarket alone covers the membership fee. Not to mention meat (chicken breasts are really good), actimel yoghurts (c£3 for pack fo 12), icecream, soft drinks etc.

Most things are in bulk, except stuff like books / CDs' / Electricals and clothes etc. So you need big cupboards / freezers etc.

They have some really nice Xmas gifts sets which you don't find on the high street. I used to think their Easter eggs were good value but not now most supermarkets do 3 for £5 etc.

Hope this helps
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Also.. remember that if at any time you are unhappy with your membership they will refund it, though i have no idea about the t&c's! Though i think once you have tried the meat it'll be enough to keep you a member!
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • Murata_2
    Options
    For 28 GBP you get a card for yourself and your partner. You can add additional account holder for a small fee. The membership cards have your photograph on them so you cannot cheat.
    At the Watford branch they have let me in to have a look at prices without a card but you will need the membership card to purchase anything. This could give you the opportunity to compare prices.
    Costco do not do BOGOF, they just do prices that on average and if you compare are 33% cheaper than supermarkets. This particularly true on anything that is soap or detergent (washing powder very cheap), chicken and meat, toilet paper, linen, electrical. Quality is LOT better than your supermarket on food.
    They dont cut corners and that just have low prices. On top of that you also get their guarantee i.e return anything within 30 days no questions asked.
  • vannus279
    Options
    Costco also produce a monthly voucher book which has on occasion had 2 for 1 offers and to me that means bogof. Ok its not very regular but it does happen.
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    Thanks guys,gonna give it a try then,hopefully il get into Glasgow next week.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if individual private members are allowed to add additional card holders. I am a trade member and the membership differs slightly ie. trade members are allowed in earlier than private members. There is a new voucher book out at the moment starts on Monday 2nd so a good time to explore. I have been a member since the Leeds store opened and I have never considered not renewing my membership.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I find the huge drums of laundry powder are good value.
    We also buy minced beef steak and minced lamb as the prices are very good and huge blocks of cheese,very big tins of Tuna and tins of pineapple.
    You can buy gallon cans of vinegar but they save only a few pence over the supermarkets price.
    OH says the posh car oil is well priced.
    I made up a price book the first few times we went and using the receipt, marked off the savings.
    We try to avoid buying anything on which you would pay VAT unless we have priced up the cost elsewhere and find it cheaper anyway.
    They have 2 prices on the price cards, one with and one without the VAT so remember to calculate for the 'with' to find the price to compare.
  • dreamlife99
    Options
    just to say, my husband had the 2nd membership card. however there was no point in both of us having it especially since we tend to go together - ending up having our lunch there too! So this year when it came up for renewal, i took my friend along and she become the second card holdre and we split the membership cost and paid around £14 each. and we dont live at the same address
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure