We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Repayment order - long term low rate or 0%?

I won't go into all the details but basically I'm a debt free wannabie looking to pay off credit card debt.

Currently I have £900 on a life of balance transfer at 2.3%
and £4000 at 0% until July 2010

I know that normally the only sensible approach is to pay off the highest interest first. But I'm not going to have cleared all the 0% debt before it reverts to a higher interest. I would be looking to transfer it but given the economic forecasts it's not clear that I'll have as many options next July to keep this debt cheap.

So I am thinking it might be better to pay the minimum on the 3% card and focus on getting the larger balance down to something more manageable before next July. (Over the life of the 3% debt, at minimum repayments I would pay £60 interest in total) This way I keep some of the debt on a cheaper deal for longer.

Am I;
a) Being paranoid about the avaliability of credit cards next summer
b) Missing the point
c) Doing the right thing to focus on the bigger debt
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.