Over 50s ISA Limits

Who knows about these? Anyone looking to invest more money into the new savings? It seems to me that the majority of over-50s have no knowledge of these changes or of how they can save money tax-free.

Was this deliberate by the government I wonder? So they can announce an initative and look pro-active if pushed, but actually keep their promotion hush-hush so they can rake in the additional tax on savings.

Or am I being cynical?

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think most banks, building socs etc that offer ISAs have been making it pretty obvious they'd like more money from you if you're over 50. Mine certainly have.

It's not up to the governent to promote individual accounts, it comes down to the firms themselves.

Have you logged into (or physically visited) your ISA provider since the end of September?
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Yes, you're being cynical. It was announced by the government/Alistair Darling some time ago and subsequently there has been publicity - Radio 4 'Moneybox' and 'You and Yours' have both mentioned it. Additionally, if you have an ISA then your provider will have told you how much more you can put in from 6th October. I agree with Biggles.

As you can see, Hargreaves Lansdown have it very prominently on their homepage:http://www.h-l.co.uk/

I am no great friend of this government, but really, SOME things are still down to the individual!
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Check out the thread under savings, ISA's and the 'over 50' question. I have just posted there. Some ISA providers are not allowing the extra £1,500 top up for over 50's. My Egg ISA won't allow it. I'm so cross I'm considering moving to another provider. My husband has topped up his ISA with National Savings but apparently it's up to the provider, they don't HAVE to allow this until April 2010 when everyone is entitled.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Well, I certainly know all about them, but I make it my personal responsibility to try and educate myself about finances as they affect me. I am shocked at the number of people who don't regard it as a priority to educate themselves about pensions and finances generally. Anybody who regularly reads a newspaper thoroughly can not have missed all the publicity given to the increase in ISA limits. If people choose not to try and educate themselves about issues which affect them, they only have themselves to blame.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You are being cynical. Anyone who reads the financial pages of newspapers will know about this.

It has been well publicised by both government and individual companies who want our extra money.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure