PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Surveys

Options
Do most people generally get an independent Surveyor to do a buildings survey in addition to the mortgage valuation survey or do people pay for the buildings survey through the mortgage company? I was just wondering if there is often a big discrepancy in price when going through the mortgage company.

Also what benefits can be gained from a more thorough survey versus having a builder look at the house.

Thanks

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    a structural survey will be in writing, and you will have evidence if things go wrong later down the line. a builder will do a walk round and have a chat with you - so no responsibility later on.

what age is the property ? and what type ?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends. New or old property? How old?
    How confident are you yourself to spot potential problems?

Some properties/buyers need full surveys, some don't.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The RICS website sets out what should be included in each level of survey.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all I would be interested in this too - the place we are looking at was built around 1930's, purpose built?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Lunary
    Lunary Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, the house we have offered on was built circa 1965 and is a semi-detached property. My partner is a builder and has been for around twenty years and is fully versed on everything but electrics and plumbing. We are intending to do a bit of renovation as the house inside looks very unfinished although seems to be structurally sound. I notice on the RICS site, the buildings survey is recommended for properties where renovation is planned.

When you say responsibility, clutton, do you mean that there is a way of claiming back money if a property is later found to have something wrong with it, that wasn't picked up by the Surveyor? We feel fairly confident that my partner could pick up on a fair amount of problems, structural, damp etc. but I just wondered whether there was any sort of cover, besides piece of mind, that comes with have a full buildings survey?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport