HELP - I made a "faster payment" to the wrong account

Options
13»

Comments

• agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    They are implementing SAP Banking - first in UK.

Sounds like a "oh crap our stuff is still all running on Tandems and we need something fast, I know let's buy a turnkey solution and get it implemented by consultants"... Definitely a fantastic plan. Cough.
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    renegade wrote: »
    I use FP to pay my bills, find it very useful and fool-proof, that is until I was the fool and paid a bill twice to the same company, for over 150 quid. When I rang the company concerned they just said , well you are now in credit to the tune of 150quid, spend it as we dont refund FP . Just as well it's xmas and I need to stock up on xmas food. But what a deep hole it would have made in my account had I not intended to use my CC again this year!
    Yes FP is foolproof providing the user does not suffer from dementia like me! Joke!

If you hadn't been planning to spend it, I'm sure you could have argued the toss and got them to refund you the money. Most will send you a cheque if you badger them enough.
  • RachelNorman
    Options
    I need some help as well. I made 6 payments using internet banking from my lloyds account to a Barclays account to pay off my credit card. The payments went into a Barclays Partner Finance holding account for which I have all of the details. I have been advised that although 3 of the payments have been traced the other 3 can't be found despite them leaving my account. The 3 payments that have been traced have not yet been returned to me and they were found before christmas. I have been told that I may not get the rest of the money back because they cant find it in the account. this is apparently because they do not hold information on where the money has come from, so they cant search using my account number and sort code. Is this correct? I'm really struggling with this and have had to take out a loan to cover the money lost which totals over £900. I understand that it was my mistake but surely if the banks should do more to help with this kind of thing if they expect people to internet bank and feel secure doing so. Any advice much appreciated.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2012 at 1:06PM
    Options
    It is always up to the sending bank to trace all "lost" payments
    So you should be chasing lloyds re the missing ones to find where it really did actually go.
    They need to be told to put a trace on them.

If they went to some other person's account by your error in putting in the wrong account details then it will all start to get difficult as your bank will need to contact the other bank who in turn will need to get signed approval from the other person to remove the money erronously placed in their account and return it to you.
    Expect the bank to charge you for this "service".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure