IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

MSE News: Southeastern rail fares to rise

in Motoring
6 replies 1.2K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Rail passengers on some of the UK's busiest commuter routes are to be hit with a "double whammy" of fare rises, it was revealed today..."
Read the full story:
Southeastern rail fares to rise

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• As a regular South Eastern Commmuter for a number of years. I have seen three fare increases each in the circa of 10%. The figure of 1.6% That South Eatern (SER) Quote is across the board so some people will see increases of 5% some will be below 1.6% The tendancey is the busier the route the higher the increase. In addition to these journey times have vastly increased over the past years.

When the Eurostar first comnenced on our Tracks journey time where increased to allow for the exdtra traffic with the pormise when the High Speed line was opened they would be reduced again. When it opened SER never reduced the journey times. Instead they increased the journey times on aot of routes. In order to prop up there punchtuality statisics.

Typicially some journeys are over 10 minute longer into London than five years ago. If you go further bacdk ints more like 20 minutes. On my line when the High Speed service is phased in my journey time will increase by anoyther 9 minute either way along with a fare increase. As well as vastly slahing the number of services The High Speed service has beern nicked named by regular commuters as the big white elephant. As most commuters who use SER service to London are comuiting to destinations around the City
    and West London to use the High speed service on top on of paying a premium for this would also need to catch the tube from North London to the City of West london incurring extra expense and extra journey time. If I was to use the High Speed service Imy journey time like other using draft timetables would increase and I would have to pay in the circa of £1,500 per anum for the privliage.
  • PiggetPigget Forumite
    84 Posts
    chillxxx - Southeastern have today posted the (I assume) final versions of the timetables on their website.

Unfortunately I am one of the people who falls into the category of having to pay a 1.6% fare increase whilst seeing a reduction in the service on the line I use. The high speed link is not an option for me, it would make the journey longer and much more expensive.

If it were not for the fact that I use the train at the weekend a lot I would be having a serious look into using the coach.
  • Thanks for thats, its not good reading journey time have increased.

I've also looked into coach services and will be looking at these again. Unfortunately alot areas on my route arn't served by any coach services. Alot of services on my route are terminating early requiring passengers who used to have direct service to change to connecting service at Faversham and increasing there journeys even more.

As a tax payer an fare payer who subsidies the HS 1 service its not exactly providing me with value for money. Guess thats life though
  • I'm gutted - I haven't had a payrise in 2 years and my ticket has risen from £84 per week to £95 in that time. This will take it close to £100! Furthermore, the miserable gits have reduced the number of trains from my station (Sandling) and increased the journey time by 11 minutes. We have to make this a political issue.
  • I am afraid to say I am one of the fortunate ones. Although my normal train leaves 2 minutes earlier, it is 9 minutes quicker!!

It is worth noting that if you work in the city, you should be able to get the high speed to Stratford and change to the mainline for a short journey to Liverpool street without any extra charges as the Ticket is to London Terminals. However, this will add more journey time, so it will be worth trying it out when Stratford International opens.
  • metcalfg wrote: »
    I'm gutted - I haven't had a payrise in 2 years and my ticket has risen from £84 per week to £95 in that time. This will take it close to £100! Furthermore, the miserable gits have reduced the number of trains from my station (Sandling) and increased the journey time by 11 minutes. We have to make this a political issue.

lol Small world. I use sandling station too, Saltwood right?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides