Feeling upset with DWP today

My original thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2033993

I may well be in the wrong I know! I just cannot understand why such an important fact isn't made clear. One sentence would do it.

"Please note that if the person you are claiming Carer's Allowance for currently receives Dependant Allowance for you, this will be stopped if CA is awarded."

Is this such an unusual situation for people to be in?

PS It didn't even occur to me, since I am still caring for our child and the government have stated that CA is not a wage...

Comments

• My original thread

I may well be in the wrong I know! I just cannot understand why such an important fact isn't made clear. One sentence would do it.

"Please note that if the person you are claiming Carer's Allowance for currently receives Dependant Allowance for you, this will be stopped if CA is awarded."

PS It didn't even occur to me, since I am still caring for our child and the government have stated that CA is not a wage...

No, I'm sure it's not such an unusual situation for people to be in. Just another example of the minefield that needs to be negotiated in order to get benefits.

I'm sorry I've nothing to offer you but lots of sympathy.
  • My original thread

sadly they are "overlapping"benefits,you probably need to see cab or welfare rights to work out which is best to claim
  • Thanks, have decided to stick with carer's allowance as it gives NI contributions :-) Should point out, I don't think I am 'entitled' to both or anything, I am just annoyed and surprised that such a crucial piece of information should be so difficult to find- I would have thought it would be in the claim pack notes of both benefits really!

Still, I am planning to become involved in some campaigning on behalf of carers and that is a very positive outcome from this :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure