average utility bills for a four bedroom student house?

Hi everyone,

Next september I'm planning on moving into a four bedroom house with 5 people (including myself), and was wondering what I should roughly expect to pay on Gas, Electricity, Water and Sewerage? If anyone lives in a similar house I'd love to hear what your paying?

Thanks! Joe

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I paid £85 for gas a month and £38 for electric. Overall we overspent on electric but underspent on gas. It was quite a big house with rubbish insulation though. (but we did all have energy saving lightbulbs). No dishwasher, but had a tumble dryer.
  • Thanks! How many people was that for? Oh and also, do you remember how much water came to?
  • Lokolo
    That was for 5. We didn't have to pay for water.

However the house I am in this year our water was £415 for the year unmetered. Its a 4 bedroom house.
  • we were in a 4 person house last year (using top-up cards) and gas & electricity came to roughly £5-10 per week per person (I can't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't much more). Water cost £17ish per term (landlord just charged us with the termly rent for unlimited water)
  • I was in a 5 bedroom, 3 storey house last year which was impossible to heat, we turned off all of the radiators except for the one in the living room, and I spent the whole of the winter in about 5 layers of clothing and using candles to heat my bedroom!

I think was spent about 390 quid on gas in the year, about 300 on electricity (most rooms had energy saving bulbs) and the water came to 17 pound each every 3 months.
    trying to become a moneysaving student
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I paid £85 for gas a month and £38 for electric. Overall we overspent on electric but underspent on gas. It was quite a big house with rubbish insulation though. (but we did all have energy saving lightbulbs). No dishwasher, but had a tumble dryer.

That sounds amzingly high - isn't the average for a family around £1100?. Your figure is over £6000!
  • Lokolo
    Smidster wrote: »
    That sounds amzingly high - isn't the average for a family around £1100?. Your figure is over £6000!

Thats not each. Thats altogether.
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thats not each. Thats altogether.

Ah, that would explain it - just as well though was wondering what you were getting upto!
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite

How often and for how long did you keep the heating on? Was it on a timer?
  • Lokolo
    atypical wrote: »
    How often and for how long did you keep the heating on? Was it on a timer?

Yep! And it depended on the time of the year. We kept it off as much as possible but it got rediculous come late November and we would have it on for a good few hours.

The house is quite big!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport