PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• skodasupercar
    Options
    Well my local tescos does a second line now.
    The do tiger bread AND salt and pepper bread.

I bought it by accident, it looks and smells exactly the same but has loads of sea salt and black pepper on it.

I tried some more last night. Will stick up a pic again in a few minutes.

I made a standard dutch crunch mix but used a little more oil, a tiny ammount of vegimite and plenty of salt and pepper.

I also brushed a small amount of seseme oil on half way though baking.

Overall they were nice, but not tiger bread.

SSC
  • kate83
    kate83 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    I tried just brushing some sesame oil on at the end - big mistake! doesn't taste like tiger bread and now can't get the taste out of my mouth - yakky!
  • NuShooz
    Options
    sorry if this has already been posted but this recipe contains sesame oil in the dough mixture.:
    http://traineedomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/07/cracking-tiger-bread-mystery.html

will definitly be giving this one a try!
  • bec2012
    bec2012 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here and am thinking of getting a bread maker but would need to know how to do the elusive tiger bread, just to put my oar in we like all tiger bread but not that taken with the sainsburys version it tastes different, just like a normal loaf with the topping on so if this hasn't got sesame oil in it but all the others have this could be the problem with their bread and would mean the recipie should deffo have sesame in the dough!
  • Greyflannels
    Options
    I think the sesame flavour is a bit of a red herring to be honest. As posted earlier, this recipe gives a pretty good crusty crackled crust with the Panasonic breadmaker. Try it.

Mix together 2 tablespoons rice flour, 2 tablespoons water and a good pinch of salt. Rice flour may be purchased in health food shops in the Gluten-free section.

Set up the breadmaker to make a loaf. With the Panasonic, set the browning control to D (dark crust).

One and a half hours before the bread is due to finish, paint the rice paste evenly over the surface of the dough using a soft pastry brush. At this time in the program, the breadmaker has finished kneading but the dough has not started to rise, thus giving maximum time for the rice glaze to crack.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    I think the sesame flavour is a bit of a red herring to be honest. As posted earlier, this recipe gives a pretty good crusty crackled crust with the Panasonic breadmaker. Try it.

Mix together 2 tablespoons rice flour, 2 tablespoons water and a good pinch of salt. Rice flour may be purchased in health food shops in the Gluten-free section.

Set up the breadmaker to make a loaf. With the Panasonic, set the browning control to D (dark crust).

One and a half hours before the bread is due to finish, paint the rice paste evenly over the surface of the dough using a soft pastry brush. At this time in the program, the breadmaker has finished kneading but the dough has not started to rise, thus giving maximum time for the rice glaze to crack.
    I can definitely taste & smell sesame in a Tiger loaf, & the labelling from at least one of the supermarkets states that theirs contains sesame oil

I tried the rice paste method way back at the beginning of this thread (post 16) both in my breadmaker & oven baked, & although it produced a pretty crackled 'Dutch Crunch' style crust & a pleasant loaf, it was by no stretch of the imagine anything like Tiger bread :confused:
  • skodasupercar
    Options
    Any more of an update.

I have made a few more attempts and have the crackle business cracked, but i just connot replicate the taste. Not even close!

Very anoying!

btw, i have just a nice inch thick slice with butter... lovely, but would be better if i had made it and not tesco!!
  • jojo01
    jojo01 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know if this is of any help, but just came across a recipe for crackle bread.

http://www.cookingbread.com/classes/class_crackle_bread.html

The crust looks a bit paler than tiger bread but that might be because they took it out of the oven too soon!
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if you've tried this yet but I couldn't see it on this thread.

There's a recipe here: http://traineedomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/07/cracking-tiger-bread-mystery.html

Kevin x
  • matt_wood87
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm surprised someone hasn't done this before me, but I e-mailed all the supermarkets and asked them for the ingredients in their tiger bread loafs. All but ASDA and morissons have responded to me (I will post their's when I recieve it) and the results can be seen below. I don't have the quantities/ratios, but I'm sure somebody more skilled in the kitchen than me could figure those out.

here we go:

Sainsburys
    wheat flour, water, yeast salt, Soya flour, vegetable oil, flour treatment agent ascorbic
    acid.
    tiger paste which consists of rice flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt

Tesco
    Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Vegetable Oil (including hydrogenated oil), Flour Treatment Agents
    E300, E920, Emulsifier E471, Stabiliser E450, Malt Flour

Somerfield
    Wheatflour, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Yeast, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Flour Treatment Agents (Ascorbic
    Acid, E920), Palm Fat, Emulsifier (E472e), Stabiliser (E450), Malted Barley Extract.

Co-op
    Wheat Flour, Water, Emulsifier (Mono- and diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and
    diglycerides of fatty acids - Vegetable), Flour Treatment Agent (L-Cysteine, Ascorbic acid),
    Malted Barley Extract, Salt, Stabiliser (Diphosphates), Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Palm), Wheat
    Protein, Yeast

Sainsburys kindly seperate the tiger paste ingredients out, so hopefully someone can deduce good quantities for these ingredients,

"tiger paste which consists of rice flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt."

Good luck!

Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills