PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help with pickling eggs and ideas for surplus eggs

Options
hi... my chickens a re laying so many eggs that i am getting to the point where even the people i am giving them to have had enough...

so now in a mad moment i thought i could pickle some and sell them in a farmers market, or christmas fair... along with some goodies made with the eggs....quiche...egg mayo.... etc... you get the idea...
the money would go towards their feeding cost...

what my problem is ...when i do hard boiled eggs....i allways get that grey ring on the outer side of the yellow....

any ideas on how i can avoid this.....

also any ideas...what else i can do with them.....

thanks........................cooltrikerchick.....................
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To prevent the grey ring on the outer side of the yolk, cool the eggs as quickly as possible after they have finished cooking. I do it by emptying the hot water out of the pan and running cold water on top of the eggs.

Pink
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry but I don't have a clue about the how to solve the egg problem.

But I was just wondering if you have been watching a programme on bbc1 at 11o'clock every morning "This little farmer gos to market"
    It is all about farmers markets...how to set up..displays...packaging...samples..pricing....charges etc and gives people the chance to try things out....anyway...
    One of the programmes was on a lady who had loads of chickens and wished to sell "egg" related cooked items on a farmers market. I think it may be on the bbc website still so it may be worth having a look.

It may be worth watching the programme to get a few hints even if it is something you're not selling.

The programmes covered jams/smoked fish/homemade icecream/.

Hope it helps and good luck
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    oops...forgot to say one of the things the lady was cooking was creme caramels...mmmm which looked delicious
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks...pink winged....i got a batch of eggs i am going to boil this afternoon..so will try that....

hi..sally savings... ye i have started watching that programme i this week its really good, so must have missed that one with the chickens...will go to the bbc website and take a look, ....

thats what gave me the idea.......it will only be once in a while, when i have a glut.

oh by the way off the thread... do you have stick insects ?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh by the way off the thread... do you have stick insects ?

:rotfl: Yes I do. :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you separate the eggs, you can freeze yolk and white separately, then use for meringues, etc. Alternatively, whisk whole egg and freeze. I do this to bake using my hens' eggs during the winter when they don't lay.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theres another thread at the moment as well for 'egg custard' if you are looking at other recipes for eggs, creme caramel sounds yum too.

I love pickled eggs too, I thought it was only me that liked them, everyone in my family thinks I am weird for eating pickled eggs!
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    What do pickled eggs taste like?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    mmmmm they taste lovely lol...I remember as a teenager we used to buy a pickled egg and chips on the way back from the youth club lol.

Good luck with your little venture cooltrikerchick ..hope all works well.
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    I've just popped onto the bbc website and I can't find the programme with the lady selling egg products :(

One of the things that looked good on her stall was a board with photos of her free range chickens so people knew where her product originated from, and a large whicker basket with fresh eggs on a layer of straw.

sorry just trying to remember the guys tips on this programme
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport