MSE News: PPI refunds due on half a million Swinton policies

Options
2»

Comments

• shooby1
    shooby1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    Thats good. Let us know when you receive it.;)

i sure will ;)
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the FSA publication as to why they had their fingers rapped

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/swinton.pdf
  • malibu_jenni
    Options
    Could you have a PPI on an insurance that is paid in one lump sum for the year? How do I check?

Thanks,
    Jen
  • gorky5
    gorky5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I bought home insurance via Swinton a couple of months ago, as my old policy was about to run out. It was a bit last minute and was done over the phone, but I listened carefully as he read out the policy details. I paid there and then so I remained covered.

When the documentation came through they'd added hidden charges, admin fees and cancellation fees which certainly weren't mentioned on the phone (I always listen out for them). There was no cooling off period mentioned. I rang up to complain but they insisted they'd only cancel the policy (and waive the £75 cancellation fee) but would keep the £30 admin fee (which also wasn't mentioned on the phone). I ended up paying it to be shot of them.

Bunch of crooks. I'll never buy anything again via Swinton, and I'll make sure in future I get written full details before I pay for any future insurance policy.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Have asked my son to check his documents, he was with Swinton motor insurance last year.

I know he has loads of paperwork, so would it be the actual agreement he needs to check through? like that of the loan ppi?
    He was paying £147 a month, first year driver last year, something like £1.5K a year where a deposit was paid in front as well.
    Third party fire and theft.

Something different!

This year he have gone with Direct link, fully comp, and at £854 a year, what a big difference, I know the first no claims bonus does help though.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • magicbunn2106
    Options
    we have this week just renewed our policy with swinton for the 3rd year. the only difference for us this time is that swinton initially offered us a £45 cashback offer if we took the policy , i had already been shopping around on the net and found that moneysavingsupermarkey were offering a £100 cashback offer even though the monthly premium worked out more online.

so my partner recontacted swinton and told them that about the bigger cashback but NOT the higher price premium . after a few minutes of being on hold while she spoke to her manager she came back and said that they would offer us a £100 cashback and stick to the same monthly premium.

where on my old policies will it say about the ppi? and are they offering casjback to customers who should be getting the refund for ppi??? are they getting out of it that way?
    :confused:
    Now married !!! :love:21/06/11 :T.

Constantly trying to find ways to save money , look after my family the best way I can and most of all make life fun for my family and friends.
    I love entering competitions. :money:
  • gorky5 wrote: »
    I bought home insurance via Swinton a couple of months ago, as my old policy was about to run out. It was a bit last minute and was done over the phone, but I listened carefully as he read out the policy details. I paid there and then so I remained covered.

When the documentation came through they'd added hidden charges, admin fees and cancellation fees which certainly weren't mentioned on the phone (I always listen out for them). There was no cooling off period mentioned. I rang up to complain but they insisted they'd only cancel the policy (and waive the £75 cancellation fee) but would keep the £30 admin fee (which also wasn't mentioned on the phone). I ended up paying it to be shot of them.

Bunch of crooks. I'll never buy anything again via Swinton, and I'll make sure in future I get written full details before I pay for any future insurance policy.
    The same happened to me, I am still fighting with them and have involved the financial ombudsmen. I was trying to do the moneysaving thing and save a few quid on my home insurance, but when I phoned my previous insurer to cancel with them they matched the offer so I cancelled Swintons insurance and they are trying to sting me for £108 for one weeks cover and cancellation charge!! The years insurance was due to be £160, (contents only), how can they justify this??? The man on the phone also never mentioned cancellation fees etc. I also thought I was covered by distance selling regs? The battle in ongoing and I am determined not to pay them a penny! They are CROOKS you are right, I will never agree to anything over the phone again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure