We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unwanted calls from 0018007060942 (leeds united shirt compo -> selling details?)

Options
anewman
anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Once this number got through. My mum answered, there was a long pause before someone spoke, then some indian guy, obviously reading (very poorly) from a script, was telling my mum she had won a mobile phone. I have heard of this scam before so luckily I was there to take over the call tell them to get lost and I hung up. (To anyone who doesn't know the scam is you have won a mobile phone and some other crappy thing, person gets all excited and is unknowingly signed up to a contract.)

But now it seems every day we are getting calls from 0018007060942, and also 0018007153081, the phone doesn't ring for long and when we do answer there is noone there talking. So I am certain whoever it is is using some sort of autodialler on large amounts of numbers, waiting for the call to be connected, and then putting someone through to the caller.

I am not registered with the telephone preference thing, but the way I see it is if there's a list of numbers to *not* call, someone is going to take that list and abuse it?

Any thoughts on how to stop these scammers calling our home phone number? It looks to me like the number is based in the US?

Leeds United shirt competition connection?

I really do think this has started since I sent off the card thing from the leeds united shirt I bought. I very rarely give out my home phone number so am pretty much convinced it has come from this. Other possibility is whoever it is is dialling random numbers, but I would love to hear if someone else who filled in one of those cards on a Leeds Utd shirt is getting calls from the same number, then we could go to the press and publicly humiliate Leeds Utd and hopefully they will do something about it. I also had another unwanted sales call, something about a kitchen.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family