PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Giving my notice and LL viewing

Options
Hi there

Just a quick question - We have just bought a house and are going to be moving out of our flat. We have to give six weeks notice which is absaloutely fine. However we will have to give our notice before we have moved all our stuff out and cleaned everything up. Our move in date would be 2 weeks into our notice period. Is it fair for me to give my notice then ask the landlord to give us 2 weeks to move everything out and clean everything up before he comes and inspects and brings in potential tenants? That would give him a month left to find new tenants. I have a very young baby and it is just not ideal having people in and out of the house.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't have to give six weeks notice, you have to give a months notice starting on a rent day. Any clause in the tenancy agreement cannot override that legal position. Also you do not have to allow any tenants to be shown around during your tenancy i.e. while you are still paying, as you have the right to 'quiet enjoyment' of your home. Again a clause in the tenancy cannot override your legal rights. I would strongly recommend you attend checkout even if it is a pain to come back to an empty property.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    why not just talk to your landlord and explain what you have explained to us - i am sure a compromise is possible - FF IS right tho, you do only need to give one months notice legally.
  • Abcynthia
    Options
    Is that still the case in Scotland? I find Scotland seems to have less protection for tenants and their money!
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Abcynthia wrote: »
    Is that still the case in Scotland? I find Scotland seems to have less protection for tenants and their money!

Really? Because of the absence of the deposit protection scheme?

In scotland, all landlords have to register on the scottish landlord registration scheme and I thought that tenants can only be evicted for the rent arrears ground when they have 3 months arrears (as opposed to 2 months in E&W) but I could be wrong.

Do you have a periodic tenancy or do you have a fixed term contract with a 6 week notice period in it?
  • adg1
    adg1 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    FF IS right tho, you do only need to give one months notice legally.

Depending on where you are in your tenancy agreement. Offer 6 weeks notice and move out leisurely over the course of those weeks. Remember you are still able to refuse entry and viewings unless they are convenient to you.
  • Abcynthia
    Abcynthia Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have been there for a year and a 7 months. It was a 6 month fixed then month on month from then on.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then you only need to give a months notice starting on a rent day, and ending the day before a rent day. You must make sure the landlord has received your notice by the rent day, in practice this means sending recorded delivery several days before in case he isn't home when postie visits (and there are postal strikes).
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport