PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to Offer?? FTB

Options
Hi Folks,

I just wanted some advice before I entered the housing market, so everyone’s input in much appreciated. We have found a house we really like and would like to put in an offer, however I am not sure how to play our hand.

Here is the house situation: It’s a Detached 3 bed house on market for £185k, however they bought it for £192k in Nov 2007 and have made no amendments to the property (only adding a large shed in the garden). House has been on the market for 1 year, with no offers, in this time the asking price has been reduced from £192k to £185k. The owners are chain free because they will move into rented accommodation, and are selling to be closer to their new Grandchildren.

We are first-time buyers and have a mortgage in principle agreed.

Is it fair to my to base my offer on the statistics published from Halifax and Nationwide on house prices?

Basically, Halifax price house statistics say that from Nov 2007 (when sellers bought) to now, a detached house in the same post code is worth 20% less. This would mean the house is worth £153.6k. Nationwide price indices show a fall of 15% (£163.2k)

Do you think these should be my low/highest offers? I mentioned these percentages to the estate agents, and they said the vendors would prob want close to asking price, not a 20-30k reduction. Are sellers realistic or are my calculations not used in practise?

The area I am talking about is a semi-rural place in South Wales...there are not many buyers around at the moment, house prices are not greatly effected by rising unemployment due to the main employers being NHS, local government and education.

Thanks for yr help

Comments

• JF77
    JF77 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    I could easily have sold my house for between £185k - £190k in 2007. I sold it for £153k 3 months ago! The fact that it has been on the market for over a year speaks volumes and I would not be paying any where near that asking price. They obviously want a retirement nest egg but I would not want to be the one funding it for them.

If it was me I would be going in with an initial offer of a little over £150k with small increases to a maximum of £162k. I would also leave a bit of time between each over and, let the EA know that you are really pushing your budget and will have to speak to your lender etc.

Hope this helps
    Excited for Florida - May 2012 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chickmug started a very helpful thread on this issue:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1907059
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    If you are not embarassed by your first offer then it's not low enough.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Matty0682 wrote: »
    Is it fair to my to base my offer on the statistics published from Halifax and Nationwide on house prices?
    Ultimately they have something you want. Fairness doesn't come into it.

I would spend less time over analysing endless statistics and offer slightly less than what I think it is worth to me today. If rejected I would go in with my final offer, and be prepared to walk away.

Think of a number...
    Been away for a while.
  • blunt_crayon
    Options
    if it is on for 185k they should expect to receive offers under £175k due to the stamp duty threshold. with no offers in a year it is doubtless overpriced. but I doubt the sellers are prepared to consider that local percentage drops may be relevant to them; they no doubt think their property is special and hasn't been affected...
    plus ça change........
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Options
    under £175k, as stamp duty kicks in...

you should research local recent sale prices, the stats alone will not be precise to your locality. use houseprice.co.uk

which might mean it should be less than the stats suggest, as parts of Wales have been hit harder than others...

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/houseprices/

[IMG]http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/houseprices/housepriceindex/report/default.asp?g=1&gt=1&a=Wales&ac=Carmarthenshire&s=01 October 2007&e=01 August 2009&t=4[/IMG]
  • themanbearpig
    Options
    Don't just look at the average percentage falls, look at the land registry sales of similar houses in the area, and use google streetview to check if they have been extended, and then calculate average falls yourself.

Its a bit of work, but using graphs like the above are useless when actually trying to value a property.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Matty0682 wrote: »
    House has been on the market for 1 year, with no offers, in this time the asking price has been reduced from £192k to £185k. The owners are chain free because they will move into rented accommodation, and are selling to be closer to their new Grandchildren.

Doesn't quite add up to me.

Offer as low as you like.
    Or have a second viewing and go and quiz them some more.
  • Sweetcaz_2
    Options
    I think this is a standard EA reason for someone selling.

How many times have people said they are moving to rented to be near family!! Mine said this and 4 months later I am living with parents as 8 weeks in my vendor decided to buy somewhere!!
    Offer accepted - 4th July :D Own sale completed - 5th September
    Finally exchanged - 30th October :j:T:j
    Completing on Friday 13th! :rotfl:
  • dwichmann
    Options
    also you mention they've added a shed, is this even included in the property, probably not so definately dont factor this in as an improvement. If you think your offer is fair then id go lower still becuase they will almost certainly reject your first offer out of principle and to play the game. Just in my experiences anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure