PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer location quandary

Options
I am a first time buyer with around a deposit of £70,000.
At the moment i have moved in with the parents for a few months (was renting) and am looking to buy. The parents live in the town I grew up in wichis is about 25miles away from my work. I currently commute which is no problem. The town is much smaller than where I work but the how proces are much cheaper you can get 3 beds for £150,000 compared to over £200,000 for a not fantastic 2 bed near to work.

Should I buy back in home town or move closer to work?

as i see it the pros of home town are house prices and less mortgage if anything happens to my current job. The cons are the commute and it's costs. The commute take about 30-35mins currently as work are very flexible and i satrt at 8 and finnish at 4. So i am usually at home before 5:00pm

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you - we chose to look further out for better value, cleaner air etc, even though not as desirable compared to town but there you go, can't have 'em both - maybe go on which one will cost you less overall inc commuting costs, time etc. The 'more relaxed' factor!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IMHO a 30-odd minute commute is fine, is it very expensive? If you are running a car to get to work would you still want it if you lived and worked in the same place? If your commute is on public transport presumably you can read the paper/ a book/ e-mail on your mobile phone or otherwise use the time to relax? Would you still want to live in the expensive town if you changed jobs?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there some reason why you can't tell us where you live / are looking?

It might influence the advice you are given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure