PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freeholder charging leaseholder an admin fee

Options
Bear with me, I'm a newbie! We are buying a leasehold house. In the lease, there is a clause which states that the company holding the freehold can charge an admin fee of a minimum of £10 when the mortgage changes hands. The lease is less than 20 years old, so inflation hasn't risen much, but the company have told our seller that they are going to charge him £700+. Is that reasonable? It seems ridiculously excessive to me for an admin fee. It's thrown back our moving date by goodness knows how long & our buyers were hoping to move in next week. It was all going too well!

Comments

• Richard_Webster
    Options
    This is a warning that the freeholders are rip off merchants and will think of other ways of extracting money from you in the future. Be warned!

You tell the seller you do not want to buy the house unless he first acquires the freehold, or makes a substantial allowance on the price to reflect the cost of this.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • nonie1
    nonie1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Richard. I did ask our solicitor to enquire about buying the freehold, but he was very opposed to suggesting it now as it will slow down the process of moving. It took us 20 months to get an offer on our house, so we daren't do anything to inconvenience our buyers as losing them would be catastrophic. It's very likely, due to the massively depressed market here, that it would take another 20 months to find more buyers.
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Doesnt this mean you are going to have to pay thousands of pounds to renew you lease if it is so low. Are you prepared for this?

Or is it different for leasehold house purchases as oppossed to flats?
  • nonie1
    Options
    The lease isn't low. It's only 20 years into a 999 year lease period! We're planning on enquiring about buying the freehold once we're in though.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    listen to richard ...... please ......
  • nonie1
    edited 21 October 2009 at 9:17PM
    Options
    I'm not ignoring him, clutton, but it's not practical to do that at this stage of the game. If we'd known this would be an issue a month ago, I'd definitely have made it an issue, but now we just want to move asap.

Edited to add that I've little doubt we'll be kicking ourselves later!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nonie1 wrote: »
    I'm not ignoring him, clutton, but it's not practical to do that at this stage of the game. If we'd known this would be an issue a month ago, I'd definitely have made it an issue, but now we just want to move asap.

When you are kicking yourself (Clutton and Richard Webster are rightly revered in these parts) read this website and roll up your sleeves for an almighty fight:
    http://www.lease-advice.org/
    I am three years into a dispute with a management company with no regard for either the law or common sense. My flat is currently unsaleable due to the 'arrears' on my account, but they won't chase me for them as the charges are not reasonable and, in some cases, relate to fictitious work. If I wanted to move I'd be stymied, as it is I have £4K earning 5% interest. :D
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • jizadine
    jizadine Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    The sale of your house doesn't ultimately rely upon the purchase of your new house... :rolleyes:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

What was the motivation of your original post? To seek advice, I assumed.

You've been given some very clear advice from several well-informed sources.

IGNORE IT AT YOUR PERIL!
  • stanleyunwin
    Options
    Thanks Richard. I did ask our solicitor to enquire about buying the freehold, but he was very opposed to suggesting it now as it will slow down the process of moving. It took us 20 months to get an offer on our house, so we daren't do anything to inconvenience our buyers as losing them would be catastrophic. It's very likely, due to the massively depressed market here, that it would take another 20 months to find more buyers.

Your solicitor may be oppossed to it, but he is not buying your house!

You can still sell yours and move into rented if needs be. You've had some very good advice here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure