Local authority selling my workplace

Options
Hi,

My mum works at a local authority run tourist attraction. She has worked every summer for over ten years. She does not have a permanent contract but each summer returns to do the same job.
At the end of this summer the local authority have sold/given the tourist attraction to a private company that runs other tourist attractions in the same town.
What rights does my mum have to a)redundancy pay or b)being offered re-deployment within the local authority.

The local authority are not TUPE any staff over to the new company. They are giving the new company the tourist attraction and that is all.

I have advised my mum to speak to her local CAB but thought that I would post on her to see if other people had any suggestions.

Thanks for your help, bye

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Try ACAS as well.
  • Te_Awamutu
    Options
    It will all depend on what your mum's contract says. You say she doesn't have a permanent contract, but she must have something in writing even if it's a letter or contract at the begining of each summer. I guess all this will say is that she was contracted from 1st May to 31st August (or something similar) and does not mention previous work done for them.

From what you have written, it sounds as though she doesn't have any rights as she is only contracted for the summer and then has a break in service over the winter. If the local Authority are not TUPEing staff over, that indicates that her contract ended at the end of the summer and she is no longer their employee.

Therefore, your mum does not have over one years continuous service which would entitle her to redeployment or two years continuous service which would entitle her to a redundancy payment.

Sorry :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport